Classic VW camper van gutted by fire on A47
- Credit: Julie Sherwood/Sarah Hazell
A VW camper van was destroyed after it caught fire on the A47.
It happened on the road at Hopton-on-Sea, between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft, on Monday afternoon.
Fire crews from Gorleston and Great Yarmouth were called to the scene at 1.48pm.
They spent more than an hour tackling the blaze while using hose reel jets and wearing breathing apparatus, before the stop message came in at 2.57pm.
An eye-witness said the incident caused severe delays in both directions, with "no traffic movement in either direction for over 30 minutes".
You may also want to watch:
Photos taken of the blue camper van in the aftermath of the fire show the damage done to the classic vehicle.
The entire interior appears to have been destroyed, while several windows seem to be missing.
- 1 Woman in 60s taken to hospital following collision
- 2 Drivers face diversions as bridge set for overnight closures
- 3 Man to be sentenced for drugs charges told jail is 'almost inevitable'
- 4 Films to be screened across district as silent outdoor cinema launches
- 5 Boat trip firm hopes to move launches to Heritage Quay
- 6 Lowestoft primary school's long-serving midday supervisor hailed after retirement
- 7 Lowestoft boxer Charley Davison’s Olympic medal chase - how it could unfold
- 8 Locked mountain bikes stolen from cycle rack outside supermarket
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder in Gorleston is released on bail
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
And much of the outer bodywork is charred with black soot, while in places the paintwork has peeled away completely.