Road closed for 'emergency' repairs to Victorian footbridge
- Credit: Mick Howes
A busy road has been closed to traffic in a coastal town as emergency repairs are carried out to a popular footbridge.
Motorists are being warned of delays after The Ravine in Lowestoft was temporarily closed at 4.45pm on Monday afternoon (November 29).
With interim work due to be carried out this week, it was discovered "more urgent work" was required during the latest inspection of the Jubilee Bridge, which runs from Belle Vue Park over The Ravine in Lowestoft.
The popular 19th century footbridge has been temporarily closed as specialist work is set to be carried out on the "listed structure".
In October it was confirmed East Suffolk Council and Lowestoft Town Council were working together to finalise a "programme of repairs" to the Victorian footbridge that was built in 1887.
With these still being finalised, an East Suffolk Council spokesman said: “Interim repair works were due to begin on the Ravine Bridge on Monday to bond loose sections of concrete from the deck, in order to minimise risk of sections falling onto the road below.
“On closer inspection, engineers established that the bonding solution was unsuitable for larger cracks that had appeared, and the decision was taken to close The Ravine.
“Given that public safety is our number one priority, the closure will remain in place until this is resolved.
- 1 Pub gets dozens of calls asking - 'Do you know there's a dog on your roof?'
- 2 Best friends take over popular café in 'just heavenly' setting
- 3 Wooden fence panels stolen from front garden of home
- 4 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 5 VW Golf seized and BMW driver warned over loud exhaust in Lowestoft
- 6 Father-of-four gets driving ban after night out in resort
- 7 Banksy mural created to spark debate after town's artwork was sold
- 8 Who put them up there? The mystery of the Lowestoft scarecrows
- 9 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 10 'A first for Lowestoft': Joy as new outdoor fitness equipment unveiled
“However, this work will be completed ahead of the main, planned refurbishment of the bridge, for which a full specification is being finalised."
With The Ravine temporarily closed and a diversion in place “delays are likely” while the emergency works are carried out, according to the Suffolk Roadworks map.
In a Twitter post, Suffolk Highways said: "The Ravine, Lowestoft has been closed from A47 to Cart Score due to damage to the footbridge.
"The closure is due to be removed on December 10, 2021.
"Please follow the diversion A47, Whapload Road, The Ravine and vice versa."
The latest closure comes after safety concerns had been raised during an inspection of the Jubilee Bridge last December.
Back then, an area of the railings on the Jubilee Bridge footbridge were found to be loose during the inspection.