Tragedy behind missed court date
A MAN failed to turn up for a court appearance as he had been drinking heavily to mark the anniversary of the disappearance of his young son.David Entwistle, 47, should have been at Lowestoft Magistrates' Court last Tuesday, just over six years after his son Daniel went missing from Yarmouth.
A MAN failed to turn up for a court appearance as he had been drinking heavily to mark the anniversary of the disappearance of his young son.
David Entwistle, 47, should have been at Lowestoft Magistrates' Court last Tuesday, just over six years after his son Daniel went missing from Yarmouth. He did not turn up, and when he did appear on Monday his solicitor explained the background.
A huge search was launched when Daniel's bike was found yards from the River Yare on May 3, 2003. Despite high-profile appeals, Daniel, who was seven at the time, never turned up.
Entwistle, of Victoria Terrace, Lowestoft, pleaded guilty to a Bail Act offence for failing to turn up in court and guilty to the public order offence. Ed Proffitt, for him, said Daniel's disappearance had been behind the non-appearance. He added: 'It became too much for him, and he had far too much to drink and failed to attend court. There has been no closure bec-ause no body has ever been found.'
You may also want to watch:
Corrinne Gook-Hurren, prosecuting, said Entwistle swore at police who intervened as he argued with another man on April 25 at the Blues and Bloater pub in Lowestoft. Mr Proffitt said Entwistle was out with his estranged partner and became upset when the other man allegedly made advances towards her.
Entwistle was fined �50 with costs of �35 for the order offence. There was no further penalty for the bail offence.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Air ambulance responds after man suffers emergency in Lowestoft
- 3 Young woman sets up new business with big plans for the future
- 4 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 5 Victorian footbridge in Lowestoft set to undergo 'significant repairs'
- 6 Discovery of personal items in woods 'not suspicious', police confirm
- 7 Man caught with indecent images of children as young as two to be sentenced
- 8 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 High Sheriff praises mental health support at high school in Lowestoft