Travel disruption across Waveney after heavy rain results in flooding
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Heavy rain and strong winds have caused travel chaos across Waveney today (Thursday).
? Just before 1pm, firefighters rescued four people, from two vehicles, after they became trapped in flood water on Church Lane in Weston. A crew from Lowestoft South attended the scene, near Beccles. Police said the river has burst its banks in three places.
? Earlier in the day, police were called after a tree fell down at Parkhill in Oulton. The tree had fallen over the southbound side of the road at about 6am, and was resolved by Suffolk Highways a short while later.
? Cones were also put in place by police on the A12 Old Nelson Street after concrete around a drain cover broke, causing a hole to appear in the road.
? The road is flooded at the bottom of the hill on the B1062 at Mettingham, near Bungay.
You may also want to watch:
? A flood warning was issued for the Chediston watercourse at Halesworth at 10.30am today.
? The Environment Agency warned properties were at risk on the Thoroughfare, Chediston Street, Saxons Way and School Lane in the town, as well as the A144 and the railway line at Halesworth.
- 1 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
- 2 Local elections 2021: Green gains and Conservative majority in east Suffolk
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 Man who set up cannabis farm warned he will be jailed
- 5 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 6 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 7 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 8 'Absolutely amazing' - Visually impaired teen completes walking challenge
- 9 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
? The A144 St John's Road in Bungay is blocked near the Low Road junction, causing disruption to drivers and passengers on the Anglian 88/X88.
? Bungay Pool, in St John's Road, has been closed as rain water has leaked into the building and contaminated the pool. It is expected to reopen as normal tomorrow.
? The B1123 at Blythburgh and B1117 at Heveningham were both reported as having some flooding after 10am this morning, with tractors being used to pull vehicles out of the water.
? Trains were cancelled on the Lowestoft to Norwich line after heavy flooding in Brundall.
? A vehicle was reported to be stuck in flood water at Ilketshall St John at 2.25pm, with water half way up the car door. Firefighters were sent along with a recovery truck.
? Beef Meadow and Caxton Meadow in Beccles are partially submerged, along with Darby Park.
? Firefighters were called to Wash Lane, Spexhall, at around 2pm with reports of people trapped in a car.
Have you been affected by flooding? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com