Travellers set up ‘unauthorised encampment’ in Lowestoft
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A group of Travellers have set up camp in Lowestoft.
It is understood they arrived in an area near Whapload Road, North Denes last Friday, July 10.
A spokesman for Waveney District Council said: 'We are aware of an unauthorised encampment on land adjacent to the net drying racks, on Whapload Road in Lowestoft.
'In accordance with the joint Suffolk protocol for unauthorised encampments, the council is working closely with Suffolk Police and the Norfolk and Suffolk Gypsy, Roma and Traveller Liaison Service.
'As such, regular visits will be made to the site, including an initial welfare assessment.
You may also want to watch:
'It is expected that the travellers will vacate the site shortly, however should this not be the case, we will begin proceedings to move the encampment on.'
Two groups of Travellers, who had previously set up camp in Lowestoft and Oulton Broad earlier this year, vacated the sites on Saturday, May 27 following council intervention.
- 1 Free parking for 30 minutes at 48 car parks
- 2 Town's Post Office boost ahead of Christmas rush
- 3 Family 'truly moved' as crowds remember building company founder
- 4 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 5 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 6 Plea for answers after blacksmith's 'devastating' death
- 7 Will Suffolk see snow as wintry showers hit before the weekend?
- 8 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 9 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 10 Lack of information sharing 'could lead to more deaths' after 95-year-old attacked