Travellers set up ‘unauthorised encampment’ in Lowestoft
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A group of Travellers have set up camp in Lowestoft.
It is understood they arrived in an area near Whapload Road, North Denes last Friday, July 10.
A spokesman for Waveney District Council said: 'We are aware of an unauthorised encampment on land adjacent to the net drying racks, on Whapload Road in Lowestoft.
'In accordance with the joint Suffolk protocol for unauthorised encampments, the council is working closely with Suffolk Police and the Norfolk and Suffolk Gypsy, Roma and Traveller Liaison Service.
'As such, regular visits will be made to the site, including an initial welfare assessment.
You may also want to watch:
'It is expected that the travellers will vacate the site shortly, however should this not be the case, we will begin proceedings to move the encampment on.'
Two groups of Travellers, who had previously set up camp in Lowestoft and Oulton Broad earlier this year, vacated the sites on Saturday, May 27 following council intervention.
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 5 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 6 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 7 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'