Two dead and another hurt in crash near Beccles
TWO people died and another was seriously hurt in a crash last night involving a bus, a car and a van in a village near Beccles.
Emergency services were called to the B1127 at Hulver at about 6.50pm, after initial reports that an Anglian Buses vehicle and a car had collided.
There were no passengers on board the bus and witnesses said the driver was shaken but unhurt. Three people were inside the car which was badly damaged. Despite the efforts of paramedics, the male driver and a woman both died.
A second man has been taken to Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with chest injuries. He is described as being in a serious condition.
One resident, whose home was directly opposite where the crash happened, said she was among the first on the scene.
She said: 'I heard an almighty crash and I knew right away that there must have been a serious accident. I rushed outside and my neighbour and I tried to help.
'The bus driver said he was okay but he seemed badly shaken. He told us to help the people in the car.
- 1 Man throws brick through living room window in Lowestoft
- 2 Have your say on redevelopment of station building vacant for 50 years
- 3 Hundreds bask in sun for return of 'wonderful' event
- 4 'Time for some you time': Unwind at brand new wellbeing retreat
- 5 Thieves break into garden and steal hot tub
- 6 Enjoy the wonders of hidden exotic garden at summer open days
- 7 Police hunt wanted man from Lowestoft
- 8 Roads 'likely' to flood as thunderstorms hit Suffolk
- 9 Alleged fly-tipper smashed through hedge after being locked inside property grounds
- 10 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
'I talked to a man who was in the car. He said he was in his thirties but he looked much older. There was nothing we could do to help them.
'It was a terrible scene and I feared the worst. Two of my neighbours dialled 999 for help.'
Firefighters had to remove the roof of the car using hydraulic cutters to free two of the people inside.
Fire engines from Wrentham, Beccles, Lowestoft and emergency rescue tenders from Lowestoft South and Loddon attended.
The road was closed while they dealt with the incident. Officers were still on the scene at 9.45pm.
Any witnesses to the collision are asked to call Sgt Paul Ward at the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Suffolk Police Headquarters on 01473 613500.