Two dead and another hurt in crash near Beccles
TWO people died and another was seriously hurt in a crash last night involving a bus, a car and a van in a village near Beccles.
Emergency services were called to the B1127 at Hulver at about 6.50pm, after initial reports that an Anglian Buses vehicle and a car had collided.
There were no passengers on board the bus and witnesses said the driver was shaken but unhurt. Three people were inside the car which was badly damaged. Despite the efforts of paramedics, the male driver and a woman both died.
A second man has been taken to Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with chest injuries. He is described as being in a serious condition.
One resident, whose home was directly opposite where the crash happened, said she was among the first on the scene.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'I heard an almighty crash and I knew right away that there must have been a serious accident. I rushed outside and my neighbour and I tried to help.
'The bus driver said he was okay but he seemed badly shaken. He told us to help the people in the car.
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 5 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 6 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 7 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
'I talked to a man who was in the car. He said he was in his thirties but he looked much older. There was nothing we could do to help them.
'It was a terrible scene and I feared the worst. Two of my neighbours dialled 999 for help.'
Firefighters had to remove the roof of the car using hydraulic cutters to free two of the people inside.
Fire engines from Wrentham, Beccles, Lowestoft and emergency rescue tenders from Lowestoft South and Loddon attended.
The road was closed while they dealt with the incident. Officers were still on the scene at 9.45pm.
Any witnesses to the collision are asked to call Sgt Paul Ward at the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Suffolk Police Headquarters on 01473 613500.