Two men arrested on suspicion of fraud in Lowestoft
TWO men have been arrested after calling at a Lowestoft man's home and demanding cash for work they claimed they had done.
Police were called to a property in Corton Road at about 1.50pm on Friday, after the home-owner reported that two men had come to his door and offered to clean the gutters. They then asked for cash, saying they had done the work.
A short time later, a 23-year-old man and a 26-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of attempting to commit fraud by false representation. Both were interviewed and bailed until October 25, pending further inquiries by police and Trading Standards.
Police are reminding people to be extremely cautious when dealing with doorstep callers.
If you need repairs or maintenance done on your property, the advice is to: call several reputable companies for quotes before agreeing to have work done; do not feel pressurised to have work carried out immediately, always ask for – and check - identification before letting anyone into your home. If in any doubt, close the door, find a telephone number in the phone book for the company or organisation they claim to work for and call them to ensure the visitor is legitimate.
You may also want to watch:
•If you suspect you may have been targeted by distraction burglars or rogue traders please call police immediately using 999 – you may prevent someone else from being duped and help officers catch the offenders.
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Coronavirus cases in East Suffolk almost double in a week
- 3 Tributes paid to 'intelligent, humble, quiet and caring' family man
- 4 Seafood restaurant and bar set to transform historic Lowestoft pub
- 5 Lowestoft-area high school honours Year 11 students with glitzy prom
- 6 O2 phone store burglars facing jail terms for break-in
- 7 Sexual misconduct allegations against Suffolk police officers revealed under FoI laws
- 8 Businesses pitch in to give vital support to Lowestoft charities
- 9 Joy as CityFibre backs Lowestoft landmark with sponsorship deal
- 10 Man charged after late night crash in Lowestoft