Two men arrested on suspicion of fraud in Lowestoft
TWO men have been arrested after calling at a Lowestoft man's home and demanding cash for work they claimed they had done.
Police were called to a property in Corton Road at about 1.50pm on Friday, after the home-owner reported that two men had come to his door and offered to clean the gutters. They then asked for cash, saying they had done the work.
A short time later, a 23-year-old man and a 26-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of attempting to commit fraud by false representation. Both were interviewed and bailed until October 25, pending further inquiries by police and Trading Standards.
Police are reminding people to be extremely cautious when dealing with doorstep callers.
If you need repairs or maintenance done on your property, the advice is to: call several reputable companies for quotes before agreeing to have work done; do not feel pressurised to have work carried out immediately, always ask for – and check - identification before letting anyone into your home. If in any doubt, close the door, find a telephone number in the phone book for the company or organisation they claim to work for and call them to ensure the visitor is legitimate.
You may also want to watch:
•If you suspect you may have been targeted by distraction burglars or rogue traders please call police immediately using 999 – you may prevent someone else from being duped and help officers catch the offenders.
- 1 Man who assaulted young girl has sex offences prevention order lifted
- 2 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 3 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 4 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 5 Empty town centre store sells ahead of auction
- 6 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
- 7 Plea to identify woman after staffie attacks three dogs in Kessingland
- 8 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 9 Lifeboat launched to kayakers 'in trouble' off coast
- 10 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?