Upcycling and mosaic work among crafts thriving at community project in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
An open day at a popular community project in Lowestoft has showcased the range of crafts on offer to anyone interested in being creative.
The Yard Project, in Ashby Road, already has an established knitting loft where members meet twice a week to get their needles clicking and machines whirring as they make everything from blankets for refugees to miniature horses for an animal charity.
And after another group was recently launched, the new craft session was unveiled at last Saturday's open day. The group, which recently started in the Yard building, upcycles discarded items such as pieces of furniture and picture frames to give them a new lease of life.
Sue Holland, the group leader, said: 'The sessions are for anyone who is interested in arts and crafts but also appeals to those who just want to socialise or want to meet new people. As well as upcycling we also make mosaics – which is quite therapeutic.
'Our sessions take place on a Wednesday morning at 10am and although our numbers are quite modest at the moment they are steadily growing. To keep costs down we rely on people giving bits and pieces.
You may also want to watch:
'I frequently appeal on line for items such as half bags of adhesive or part used tins of paint. We also have quite a lot of plain tiles for the mosaics but need others that are more colourful.
Sue Bowring, who oversees the Lowestoft Wool Loft at the Yard Project, added: 'Everybody is welcome to join any of these groups at The Yard. Although we have been established for a number of years a lot of people do not know we are here as we are a bit tucked away but when they do find us they are surprised with how much is going on in the building.'
- 1 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 4 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 5 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 6 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 7 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 8 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 9 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 10 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
As well as mosaic and upcycling on a Wednesday morning, The Yard project holds knit, yarn and stitch classes on a Tuesday afternoon and a Friday morning and pottery classes on a Thursday.
For more information call 07887 902677 (knitting) or 07510551697 (upcyclng) or 07984 820245 (pottery). Alternatively you can join The Yard Project page on Facebook to keep in touch.