MEP joins event to celebrate vote centenary
- Credit: Archant
A celebration event was held to mark 100 years since the Suffragette movement began.
The event, called 'Hopes for the future, paying tribute to the past', was successfully held at the Seagull Theatre in Pakefield on Saturday.
Organised by Waveney Labour, it featured MEP Alex Mayer, who opened the event and spoke about women in politics.
There was also a woman's history exhibition, afternoon tea and the 2015 film 'Suffragette' was also shown to the audience.
Ms Mayer, the only female Member of the European Parliament in Suffolk, said 'As we celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the first votes for women, it is important to remember that struggle but also to look to the future.
You may also want to watch:
'There is still a fight to be had for gender equality.
'My message to women is please always use your hard won right to vote in elections – and to those who are interested in politics, take the plunge and get involved.'
- 1 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 4 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 7 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 8 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 9 Delays 'possible' warning ahead of footway works in Lowestoft
- 10 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
Are you holding an event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org