MEP joins event to celebrate vote centenary
- Credit: Archant
A celebration event was held to mark 100 years since the Suffragette movement began.
The event, called 'Hopes for the future, paying tribute to the past', was successfully held at the Seagull Theatre in Pakefield on Saturday.
Organised by Waveney Labour, it featured MEP Alex Mayer, who opened the event and spoke about women in politics.
There was also a woman's history exhibition, afternoon tea and the 2015 film 'Suffragette' was also shown to the audience.
Ms Mayer, the only female Member of the European Parliament in Suffolk, said 'As we celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the first votes for women, it is important to remember that struggle but also to look to the future.
You may also want to watch:
'There is still a fight to be had for gender equality.
'My message to women is please always use your hard won right to vote in elections – and to those who are interested in politics, take the plunge and get involved.'
- 1 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 2 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 3 Plea to help find 17-year-old missing since February 2
- 4 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 5 Peter Aldous: 'Great opportunities for future of special Lowestoft'
- 6 Police receive nearly 140 calls about Covid breaches during sunny weekend
- 7 Brexit: What does it mean for Lowestoft's fishing industry?
- 8 'Help us make a new outside space': Appeal to transform school's playground
- 9 Covid vaccination centre opens at former court building
- 10 Motorists face 25-mile diversions with roads set to be closed
Are you holding an event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org