Warning as teenage burglars detained in Lowestoft

DETECTIVES welcomed the custodial sentences given to two burglars this week and warned other crooks that they faced the same fate when caught.

Senior officers spoke out after two 17-year-old boys were sentenced after admitting house burglaries in the town.

The teenagers, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were both before Lowestoft Youth Court on Wednesday. One of them, who had admitted aggravated burglary after striking a woman as he fled a property in Lorne Road on November 8, was sentenced to 18 months youth detention.

Also, he admitted other home burglaries, including break-ins in Kimberley Road on November 12; at Mayfield Road, Carlton Colville, on November 7, at Harebell Way on November 5; in Edelweiss Close, Carlton Colville, overnight on November 3-4; and at Middle Way on April 2.

The other teenager, whose crimes were not connected, was given eight months youth detention after admitting a string of crimes, including a burglary at a home on the Whitton Estate overnight on Saturday and Sunday, November 6-7; an attempted theft of a vehicle from Aldwyck Way on November 11, taking a conveyance from Laxfield Way overnight on November 10-11; and interfering with a vehicle parked in Denton Drive early on November 11. He had been arrested after a householder spotted him breaking into a vehicle in Aldwyck Way.


You may also want to watch:


Police were there quickly but were diverted to another call, again after information from a local, who had seen the vehicle in Denton Drive being broken into. The 17-year-old was arrested at the scene and later admitted the offences.

Det Insp Darrell Skuse of Suffolk police's Waveney team, said he was pleased both the teenagers had received custodial senteces.

Most Read

'The impact on the victims of these burglaries should not be underestimated,' he said. 'To have someone break into your home and steal items is distressing and often has a long-term effect on how safe you feel in your home.

'However, those committing these crimes rarely see the impact they are having.

'We have had a number of home burglaries in Lowestoft during November and early December, and police have been dedicating resources to tackling these crimes, with additional patrols being made and the issue being treated as a priority by all at Lowestoft police station. These are among the first successful prosecutions for recent crimes, and more will follow.'

He added: 'The 17-year-old involved in the Lorne Road aggravated burglary admitted a number of other offences as part of Operation Converter, an initiative which sees officers encouraging offenders to admit their crimes before sentencing rather than face being put before the court again if new evidence is found.

'This gives victims some closure and the knowledge that the offenders are paying a price for their crimes.'

Police this week reminded people in the area to remain vigilant and to report any suspicious behaviour to them immediately by dialling 999.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter