Search

Warning over carrying knives

PUBLISHED: 14:15 29 May 2008 | UPDATED: 20:30 05 July 2010

A MAGISTRATE has spoken of the seriousness of carrying knives in public after hearing a 20-year-old man plead guilty to being in possession of a six-inch blade.

A MAGISTRATE has spoken of the seriousness of carrying knives in public after hearing a 20-year-old man plead guilty to being in possession of a six-inch blade.

Alfie Boyer, 20, of St Edmund's Road, Southwold, appeared at Lowestoft Magistrates' Court yesterday to admit taking a kitchen knife out with him.

Tess James, prosecuting, said car park attendant Boyer told police he had the knife because he feared being attacked. He had earlier dumped it in Leiston, but admitted it was his when questioned later.

Chairman of the bench Chris Farrer told Boyer: “Everyone is aware of the serious consequences of young people carrying knives. This court does take a serious view of offensive weapons carried in public.”

Mr Farrer adjourned sentencing until June 18, but said Boyer would not be jailed after hearing how he had made efforts to turn his life around.

Lucy Ashmore, for Boyer, denied he had any intention of using the knife and had thrown it away when he realised he should not be carrying it in public.

“He wasn't wielding it… and wasn't going to attack anyone with it," she added.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal