Waveney: Arrears plea to tenants
COUNCIL house tenants in Waveney are being urged not to allow rent arrears to build up in the lead-up to Christmas as part of a new campaign.Waveney District Council is encouraging its tenants not to 'suffer in silence' but to get help with managing debt by contacting its housing team to discuss a realistic payment plan.
COUNCIL house tenants in Waveney are being urged not to allow rent arrears to build up in the lead-up to Christmas as part of a new campaign.
Waveney District Council is encouraging its tenants not to 'suffer in silence' but to get help with managing debt by contacting its housing team to discuss a realistic payment plan.
As part of the initiative, the council will be making high visibility visits across the district to call on tenants with rent arrears, or who are not keeping to agreements to reduce their debts.
Figures show that with the economic downturn nearly a fifth of tenants have arrears of differing degrees.
You may also want to watch:
Housing's principal service manager, David Howson, said: 'We encourage tenants to pay their arrears voluntarily rather than having to resort to further action and will always try to help those in need. Tenants may be entitled to additional benefits and we have organised special events to provide advice.
'However, if someone refuses to engage with us then we will continue with a robust line to ensure we receive the rent that is owed to us. As part of this latest campaign, we have set up high profile visits to those tenants that regularly default. This is only being fair to all those tenants that do pay on time.'
- 1 Man suffers broken leg in serious crash on A12
- 2 'A true icon': England legend unveils sports hall at former school
- 3 Thieves steal Range Rover from street in Lowestoft
- 4 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 5 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 6 'Little soldier' Drew fighting extremely rare muscle condition
- 7 Person taken to hospital after being rescued from boat
- 8 Hunt for man wanted for assaults in Lowestoft
- 9 Fire fighters called to school after solar panel convertor fire
- 10 Refurbished seafront toilet block set on fire in vandalism spree
Tenants having difficulty with their rent should contact their housing officer urgently. Visit www.waveney.gov.uk/housingofficers.