Waveney: Delivery of medical aids
ELDERLY, infirm or isolated people in the Yarmouth and Waveney areas can now get wheelchairs, commodes and washboards delivered to their houses.A British Red Cross medical equipment loan home delivery service had been launched at Gorleston's Norfolk Coastal Centre for Independent Life.
ELDERLY, infirm or isolated people in the Yarmouth and Waveney areas can now get wheelchairs, commodes and washboards delivered to their houses.
A British Red Cross medical equipment loan home delivery service had been launched at Gorleston's Norfolk Coastal Centre for Independent Life.
The centre set up the home delivery service to help elderly or isolated people improve their independence by getting access to medical equipment after it received a �30,000 grant from NHS Yarmouth and Waveney.
Volunteers at the centre had previously only been able to loan out wheelchairs and other equipment to people who visited the Beacon Business Park site.
You may also want to watch:
The NHS grant has enabled the centre to get a van and driver so it can cover an area stretching from Winterton to Southwold.
Peter McGuinness, British Red Cross development manager, said: 'Elderly people, especially in rural areas, find it very hard to get here - it was like climbing a mountain for them.
- 1 Man in 20s among further Covid deaths at Norfolk hospital
- 2 Delays expected as 48-ton boat is transported through region
- 3 Lowestoft gets £24.9m for key town centre projects
- 4 When do the clocks go forward in 2021?
- 5 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 6 Pontins accused of using discriminatory 'undesirable guest' list
- 7 'A big thank you' - Superheroes salute key workers and NHS staff
- 8 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 9 The voice of the Shipping Forecast publishes latest fox storybook
- 10 Sex offender caught with indecent images avoids prison
'The loaning of a wheelchair means that an elderly person can be taken out with their carer or can go out on a family occasion, which would otherwise be impossible for them to do.'
Anyone wishing to borrow medical equipment from the British Red Cross scheme should call 0845 054 7181.