Waveney sailing club marks 10th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Around 100 people attended the 10th anniversary celebrations of Waveney Sailability.
The event was held at Waveney and Oulton Broad Yacht Club, and culminated in the cutting of a special anniversary cake.
Rotarians from local clubs originally provided the volunteers and funding to launch the Sailabilty project at Oulton Broad, marking 100 years of Rotary. The group continues to grow, providing sailing opportunities for those with a wide range of mental and physical disabilities.
Last season saw members sailing almost every Tuesday, and at a party in December trophies were presented as well as 40 attainment badges ranging from entry to platinum level. They challenge members to learn new skills and become independent sailors.
Racing takes place every week and 11 sailors have achieved the platinum award which involves learning the racing and collision rules. It enables them to race alongside able-bodied sailors during Oulton Week.
You may also want to watch:
Sailability is a world-wide organisation affiliated to the Royal Yachting Association. The group meets weekly on a Tuesday afternoon at the Waveney and Oulton Broad Yacht Club between April and October and has around 65 regular sailors.
To find out more visit waveneysailability.co.uk or call Sally Green on 01502 566533.
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 3 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 4 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 5 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 6 Firefighters rescue kittiwake caught in controversial netting
- 7 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
- 8 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
- 9 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 10 New faces announced for town councils after election votes counted