Why not become a station adopter?
I WAS very interested to read the concern shown about our railway and the lovely picture of Lowestoft Railway Station. Our station is an unmarked monument to all those service people who came through this once lovely old building, some never to return, but died for the freedom we enjoy so much now.
I WAS very interested to read the concern shown about our railway and the lovely picture of Lowestoft Railway Station. Our station is an unmarked monument to all those service people who came through this once lovely old building, some never to return, but died for the freedom we enjoy so much now. Neither must we forget the railway personnel, who kept the railways running for all the war years of 1939 to 1945.
Regarding an hourly train service, we need a double track, as it used to be, from Lowestoft to Ipswich; electric trains; with unmanned level crossings, properly and safely controlled by railway staff. An hourly service could then be created. For example, a train from Lowestoft to Ipswich, stopping at all stations. The next train could be Lowestoft to Ipswich direct, then to London.
Station adopters. There is much interest by people up and down the line Lowestoft to Ipswich and Norwich, and always has been. There are people who adopt a station and care for it. This is a recognised voluntary group who make reports on their stations, three monthly, to the railway authorities. It has helped keep vandalism down and also provided many a lovely flower display on the stations. I would recommend any person interested to get in touch with National Express Railways if they would like to
become an adopter. The only cost to you is your time and enthusiasm.
Another good body to join is The East Suffolk Travellers Association.
Lowestoft is the most easterly town in Britain but how much do we advertise it? It has so much to offer.
- 1 Firefighters battle blaze in Lowestoft cliff face
- 2 Shock as knife found in Subway tuna sandwich
- 3 Mum's warning after children almost stung by jellyfish
- 4 5 cheap and free things to do in Suffolk this weekend
- 5 'You're not Steve McQueen' - Vehicles reported for anti-social driving
- 6 Lowestoft man died after paramedics mistakenly told he had taken heroin
- 7 ‘Accessible to everyone:' Special party highlights new beach huts
- 8 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 9 Teenager arrested after girl assaulted during robbery
- 10 Lowestoft's £24.9 million funding for regeneration projects approved