Why we must be honest about sex
AS a parent of teenage children I would like to congratulate Rachel Moore for writing a sensible and balanced article on talking to young people about relationships and sex.
AS a parent of teenage children I would like to congratulate Rachel Moore for writing a sensible and balanced article on talking to young people about relationships and sex. (July 17).
Too often our newspapers are full of articles sensationalising the issue: demonising young people for their sexual behaviour and criticising parents and professionals who try to give them the information they need to stay safe and healthy.
Ms Moore's article highlights what many other countries have already found out - that talking to children from an early age about sex and relationships is more likely to lead to them make sensible and mature choices about their bodies.
Our reluctance to talk openly is one of the reasons why the UK has one of the highest rates of unplanned teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections in the western world.
You may also want to watch:
So well done Ms Moore for showing that talking about sex helps to overcome ignorance and embarrassment, leading to happier and healthier relationships in adult life.
- 1 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
- 2 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 3 University joy for Lowestoft Sixth Form students
- 4 Repair works to be carried out along Lowestoft north Denes
- 5 Hunt continues for Mercedes driver who crashed into homes in Lowestoft
- 6 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 7 Trio 'released under investigation' following arrests outside petrol station
- 8 'A redevelopment opportunity' - Empty town centre shop and maisonette set for auction
- 9 How visiting restrictions are easing at Norfolk's hospitals
- 10 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
This wins our Letter of the Week and the writer will receive a bouquet courtesy of Sansom's Florists.