Widespread snow and ice as ‘Beast from the East’ hits Waveney
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Seven schools have closed in the Waveney area as the 'Beast from the East' hit the region.
People from across the district were greeted by several inches of snow and sunshine as they made their way to work and schools this morning.
Children could be seen throwing snowballs as they made their way to school, with the seven schools closed in the Waveney area as follows: Ilketshall St Lawrence Primary School, Holton St Peter Primary School, Bungay High School, Edgar Sewter Primary School in Halesworth, Bungay Primary School, Warren School Lowestoft, The Harbour PRU Lowestoft, First Base (Lowestoft) and Old Warren House Lowestoft,
The Attic PRU in Lowestoft remains open, however the Walpole site is closed.
The main roads heading into Lowestoft were clear, but there is treacherous conditions in many of the back roads and side streets, with motorists being urged to driving to the conditions.
You may also want to watch:
A Tweet from the First Bus Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft account said that 'services are running this morning. However services are delayed due to weather conditions.'
There are reports that the A146 between Beccles and Norwich has been moving very slowly.
- 1 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 2 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 3 Tributes paid to 'intelligent, humble, quiet and caring' family man
- 4 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 5 Seafood restaurant and bar set to transform historic Lowestoft pub
- 6 Lowestoft-area high school honours Year 11 students with glitzy prom
- 7 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 8 Iconic hospital likely to be sold to private developer
- 9 Coronavirus cases in East Suffolk almost double in a week
- 10 Sexual misconduct allegations against Suffolk police officers revealed under FoI laws
Regionally as of 9am, there were almost 900 cancellations on Greater Anglia trains.
There are no trains between Lowestoft and Norwich as cancellations were made all over the region.