Wildlife to benefit from new appeal
Hayley MaceGenerous wildlife enthusiasts showed their support for a scheme to create new wetland habitats around Lowestoft today.Suffolk Wildlife Trust's Big Give appeal to raise �50,000 to buy new parcels of land around the marshes in Oulton, Carlton and North Cove started on Monday morning and kind-hearted locals were keen to get involved.Hayley Mace
Generous wildlife enthusiasts showed their support for a scheme to create new wetland habitats around Lowestoft today.
Suffolk Wildlife Trust's Big Give appeal to raise �50,000 to buy new parcels of land around the marshes in Oulton, Carlton and North Cove started on Monday morning and kind-hearted locals were keen to get involved.
The trust wants to buy sections of land to link its existing sites to create a 1,000 acre wetland habitat which will be more robust against the effects of climate change and allow the many protected species which live in the area to move if their own section of habitat changes.
Local musician John Ward was one of the first people to donate online at the trust's education centre at Carlton Marshes, and he gave half of the proceeds from a recent concert with Mario Price at The Cut in Halesworth to the cause.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ward, who once worked and volunteered for the trust, said: 'I've always had an affection for Suffolk Wildlife Trust and I've always been interested in natural history.
'When I said that I wanted to donate some of the money from my concert to the appeal, I was invited to come along and be one of the first to help towards this great cause.'
- 1 Sex offender caught with indecent images avoids prison
- 2 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 3 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 4 'A big thank you' - Superheroes salute key workers and NHS staff
- 5 Plea to help find 17-year-old missing since February 2
- 6 When do the clocks go forward in 2021?
- 7 Police receive nearly 140 calls about Covid breaches during sunny weekend
- 8 Where are Norfolk and Waveney's Covid vaccination sites?
- 9 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 10 Covid vaccination centre opens at former court building
Essex and Suffolk Water also donated �15,000, which was doubled by match funding.
To donate online, follow the link from www.suffolkwildlife.co.uk.