Woman victim of churchyard attack
A YOUNG woman was attacked and robbed in a Lowestoft churchyard - less than a week after a man was robbed at knifepoint nearby. In the latest incident, a 19-year-old woman was walking through St Margaret's churchyard in St Margaret's Road at about 7.
A YOUNG woman was attacked and robbed in a Lowestoft churchyard - less than a week after a man was robbed at knifepoint nearby.
In the latest incident, a 19-year-old woman was walking through St Margaret's churchyard in St Margaret's Road at about 7.20pm on Wednesday last week when she was set upon by a man in his 20s or 30s.
He grabbed the woman's hair and stole a purse and a packet of cigarettes from her jacket pockets.
He then slapped the victim on the side of her face, before letting go of the woman, who then fled the area.
You may also want to watch:
The robber was white, of average build, with a southern accent, possibly from London. He was wearing a dark tracksuit.
Six days earlier, on Thursday, March 4, man was robbed of his iPod and wallet at the entrance to the churchyard in Oulton Road, at about 8.30pm to 8.40pm.
- 1 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
- 2 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 3 'Suspicious' sighting in the sea sparks late night response in Lowestoft
- 4 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 5 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 6 Burglar attempts to rob store with metal bar as weapon
- 7 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 8 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 9 New book shines 'the spotlight' on coastal town's past and present
- 10 Two men bailed in connection with firearm offences
The man was approaching the churchyard when he saw three young people at the gate - two men, both white and in their mid to late teens, and a woman of similar age with a pushchair.
He walked a little further and realised someone was following him. But when he looked round, one of the men produced a knife. The other man, who also had a knife, then confronted him and demanded the man hand over his valuables.
He handed over his iPod and his wallet and then ran off.
The robbers were both being around 5ft 8in to 5ft 10in. One was wearing a dark hooded top with the hood up and dark bottoms and the other with dark eyes and dark hair and wearing a grey hooded top with a dark pattern on the front and a black scarf that was partially over his face.
Information on both robberies should be directed to Lowestoft CID on 01986 835300.