Woodland protest planned
Protesters are being asked to descend on County Hall in Norwich to help save a scenic wood from being turned into a quarry.On Friday, campaigners will present a petition of more than 10,700 names to Norfolk County Council in an attempt to persuade it to remove Waveney Forest from a list of potential quarry sites.
Protesters are being asked to descend on County Hall in Norwich to help save a scenic wood from being turned into a quarry.
On Friday, campaigners will present a petition of more than 10,700 names to Norfolk County Council in an attempt to persuade it to remove Waveney Forest from a list of potential quarry sites.
The forest, at Fritton, near Yarmouth, is one of 100 sites that have been identified as a potential mineral extraction site to provide three million tonnes for house, school and roadbuilding material in the next 15 years. The council is expected to submit a shortlist of preferred sites early next year, and it is hoped that the forest, a popular haunt for walkers, will be dropped from this.
Fritton Action Rescue Group will present the petition and wants people to turn up waving banners and placards. Jan Burton, from the group, said: “When we told the council that we would be handing in a petition with so many names they said they were astonished. Waveney Forest is a beautiful woodland that is a haven for rare wildlife and is loved by so many people.
You may also want to watch:
“We have had a lot of holiday- makers signing our petition as they enjoy taking their families for a day out in the forest. Instead of considering destroying it, the council should be helping to plant more trees there to make sure we can keep enjoying it.”
Yarmouth MP Tony Wright is expected to join the campaigners at the 3pm presentation.
- 1 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 2 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 How well do you know Lowestoft?
- 5 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 6 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 7 Teens arrested in connection with burglaries and arson at Lowestoft schools
- 8 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering
- 9 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 10 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre