Work to remove sunken vessel off Lowestoft postponed
- Credit: Archant
Adverse weather conditions have halted work to remove the wreck of a boat which sank off Lowestoft during the summer.
MV Ella was under tow from Hartlepool to Rochester when she began to take on water on July 6.
The tow of the unmanned vessel was cut and she sank around three-and-a half nautical miles off the Port of Lowestoft.
Work to lift the wreck from the seabed got under way last week but has now ceased.
A spokesman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said: 'Changing conditions mean the original method to lift the vessel can't now be used.
You may also want to watch:
'The salvors have found a different way of lifting it using a large salvage grab which will be transported from the Netherlands and will be submitting their amended plans for moving the wreck to the Salvage Control Unit.'
A temporary exclusion zone of 500m currently surrounds the wreck as it causes a hazard to navigation and danger to shipping.
- 1 'Forever an Olympian': Charley Davison bows out at Tokyo games
- 2 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 3 Man to be sentenced for drugs charges told jail is 'almost inevitable'
- 4 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 5 Olympic quest continues for Lowestoft's GB boxing star Charley Davison
- 6 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 7 Lowestoft boxer Charley Davison’s Olympic medal chase - how it could unfold
- 8 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 9 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
- 10 Drivers face diversions as bridge set for overnight closures