Search

Work to repair seafront gets go ahead

PUBLISHED: 13:59 03 July 2008 | UPDATED: 20:46 05 July 2010

Urgent work to replace crumbling sections of Lowestoft's seafront has been given the go-ahead by councillors.

Waveney District Council highlighted an 800m section of concrete wall and lighting columns as being in a poor condition and a potential danger to the public.

Urgent work to replace crumbling sections of Lowestoft's seafront has been given the go-ahead by councillors.

Waveney District Council highlighted an 800m section of concrete wall and lighting columns as being in a poor condition and a potential danger to the public.

As revealed last week, nearly £600,000 of work is needed to replace the wall and lights on the promenade between the Claremont Pier and Cefas building.

Particular concerns had been raised by the fact vandals were hurling loose pieces of concrete from the wall onto the lower promenade.

There was widespread support for the work at a meeting of the full council on Thursday night, but not before concerns were raised.

Reports revealed the wall and lighting columns had been in a poor condition for many years and opposition Labour group leader Malcolm Cherry said: “I for one am all for health and safety… but why has it taken so long for these issues to be raised?

Fellow Labour councillor John Shanahan also questioned why the matters had not also been referred to the council's overview and scrutiny committee for consideration.

“There has been no scrutiny as to whether this money is being spent wisely,” he said.

Cabinet member Chris Punt said the need for urgent repairs had only recently been established at that the matters had been brought before councillors as soon as possible.

Work is due to start in October or November and will be completed by the end of January.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists