Search

Worlingham crash man wants answers

PUBLISHED: 08:00 05 February 2010 | UPDATED: 16:12 06 July 2010

THE man pinned under a car in last year's Worlingham crash horror demanded answers last night after learning the driver will not face criminal charges.

THE man pinned under a car in last year's Worlingham crash horror demanded answers last night after learning the driver will not face criminal charges.

Richard Calver was trapped with youngsters from Worlingham Middle School when the vehicle mounted the pavement just outside All Saints Church last September.

On Sunday, Suffolk police said the case would not go to a criminal court as they could not prove the 41-year-old woman driver had driven carelessly or dangerously.

A police statement revealed the decision was taken after a medical assessment as it is believed she could have suffered an epileptic seizure.

The woman's driving licence was revoked on October 29 because of a suspected medical condition, although depending on a medical review, she could get her licence back in April if she decides to re-apply.

Mr Calver, 22, and his family, expressed their anger at the inconclusive outcome, and are desperate for a more thorough explanation.

He said: “Everyone who speaks to me in town has said it's disgusting,” said Mr Calver, who was hailed a hero, after witnesses saw him push some of the youngsters out of the way of the car.

“People can't understand how she's not been done. It doesn't make sense. I'm angry with the way it's been handled. I want some answers so I can put it behind me.

“If it was an epileptic fit then why is she allowed to reapply for her licence? They didn't revoke her licence until October- why did it take so long for her licence to be revoked in the first place?”

In a letter to the parents and children involved in the crash, Sgt Paul Ward of the serious collision team said: “We have consulted with the Crown Prosecution Service throughout this investigation and they have now provided me with final advice, that this matter will not proceed to a criminal court. In brief, we can not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she either drove carelessly or dangerously, in fact I would add that the circumstances are consistent with her having suffered a medical episode or extreme fatigue, the latter being an element that we cannot prove.”

Mr Calver's father Michael questioned the thoroughness of the police investigation. He said: “I believe there were a good number of people who were there at the point of impact who haven't been interviewed,” he said. “They have not come up with an answer that warrants the magnitude of the accident. The police have not played their part.”

Richard Calver said he would be putting in a personal injury claim against the driver. He is visiting the doctor for help with mental trauma, and still suffers with images and noises in his head.

He has stayed in touch with the other youngsters directly involved, and said that the lack of conclusive outcome would be bad for him and the children. “The school has stopped talking about it,” he said. “They drew a line under it with the emergency services Christmas lunch, and this is dragging it all up.”

Meanwhile the mother of a young girl hurt in the crash revealed she will be making a legal bid for compensation.

Victoria Waterman's nine-year-old daughter Macy Roberts was taken to hospital with whiplash and burn wounds to her arms following the crash.

Mrs Waterman, from Gillingham, said: “I am so angry. Macy's physical injuries have healed, but her mental injuries have not. The trauma is going to be there for years. My daughter is one of the luckier ones, but this has affected her,” Mrs Waterman added. “She is up every night crying, thinking she is being run over. My daughter has got scars on her arms and she has been diagnosed as having post traumatic shock disorder.”

A spokesperson from Suffolk Police said they had spoken to a lot of people at the scene and they had appealed for people to come forward at the time. She added that they could not take any immediate action unless it was believed the crash was a criminal act, such as drink driving, and that the driver's licence had been revoked on medical grounds, following medical tests.

The police will be holding a meeting at the end of the month for those involved with questions about the investigation.

The police are keen to recognise the brave actions of some of those involved on the day, and have suggested that people involved nominate individuals. Richard said he would nominate people, including his friend Gavin Barber who lifted up the car to free him and the children.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists