Would you pay more towards Suffolk’s police service?
- Credit: Archant
Taxpayers are being asked whether they would be prepared to pay more towards funding the police service.
Tim Passmore, Suffolk's police and crime commissioner, is asking council tax payers whether they would be willing to pay a higher policing precept, in order to keep a similar level of service against a background of cuts from central government.
The consultation, which runs until Thursday, January 28, asks what residents think about the proposal to raise the amount they pay by nearly 2pc next year. For a Band D property, this equates to roughly 7p per week.
Mr Passmore said: 'Suffolk Constabulary faces significant financial challenges in the coming financial years. They also face radical changes across the policing landscape.
'The government's financial settlement for Suffolk, announced last month, was based on the assumption that I will take advantage of my power to increase the policing element of the council tax.
You may also want to watch:
'I appreciate this is an additional burden on council tax payers, but I intend to use the £830k created by the precept rise to fund 20 police officers and three PCSOs to work specifically in schools across the county.'
To take part in the online survey, go to: www.suffolk-pcc.gov.uk or write to Suffolk Constabulary, Police Headquarters, Martlesham Heath, IP5 3QS. The survey closes at 4pm on January 28.
- 1 Lowestoft man kicked victim in head as he lay on the ground
- 2 Air ambulance responds after man in 30s suffers emergency in Kessingland
- 3 Scheme unveiled for former pub and butchers on town's High Street
- 4 Why a strange light was seen flying over Lowestoft
- 5 'Enough to go around' - Drivers urged not to panic-buy at petrol pumps
- 6 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 7 Hunt continues for two men involved in assault in Lowestoft
- 8 Man's death 'remains unexplained' after body found in Lowestoft
- 9 School hails success of open evening as families return to the classroom
- 10 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles