Firefighters prepare to get on their bikes for charity cycle
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A group of six firefighters are preparing to saddle up as they embark on a charity bike ride.
The Wrentham Fire Station crew members will set out on a five-day charity cycle ride next month, travelling almost 400 miles across the country, as they raise funds for a worthy cause.
The charity cycle ride, from Wales to Lowestoft, will begin on Monday, June 18. The retained crew of Wrentham fire station – consisting of firefighters Aaron English, Steve Howard, Richard Lark, Shane Sillett, James Supple and Richard Supple – will cycle from Llangefni in Wales and arrive at south Lowestoft fire station on Friday, June 22.
Named the 'Wrentham Fire Ride', the Wrentham crew will cycle 381-miles from the west of the country to the UK's most easterly town in order to 'give something back' as they raise money and awareness for two important charities – The Fire Fighters Charity and Mind.
In between working and fire service duties, the group have been busy training and getting ready for the challenge.
You may also want to watch:
James Supple, crew commander at Wrentham Fire Station, said: 'Being a firefighter is incredibly rewarding but sometimes it can be difficult too; organisations such as The Fire Fighters Charity and Mind offer invaluable support to firefighters, and their families. We want to give something back so we're cycling across the UK to raise money and awareness for these two vital charities.
'We are incredibly grateful for the support of Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, other fire stations across the UK who will be providing assistance and to our sponsors – without whom the ride would not be possible.
- 1 First Light Festival adds more events to Days of Summer programme
- 2 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 3 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 4 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 5 Couple who first met at hotel celebrate six decades of marriage
- 6 Nominations for town council post revealed following 'bullying' claims
- 7 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 8 Investigation closed against man who exposed himself in cemetery
- 9 Freddie the fish trail set to make a splash return this summer
- 10 Everything to see and do in Lowestoft
'We hope to raise £2,000 for our charities and we are extremely grateful to anyone who is able to donate even a small amount.'
On the final day of the challenge, June 22, the crew will visit the Suffolk County Council offices at Endeavour House in Ipswich to meet Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service colleagues, before cycling the remaining distance to Lowestoft.
The Wrentham Fire Ride is sponsored by Pedal Power, Morrisons in Beccles, Kingsley Healthcare, Southwold Golf Club and Greater Gabbard Offshore Winds Ltd. To donate to the Wrentham Fire Ride, or to find out more visit www.wrenthamfireride.com