Young people urged to apply for free holiday
- Credit: Archant
Disadvantaged young people in Waveney are being encouraged to submit applications for a free holiday.
YHA's (Youth Hostel Association) Challenging Lives and Challenging Places programmes are designed to give deprived children aged eight to 18 an opportunity to go away for a two-night stay in a youth hostel.
Those living with a disability, a medical or mental health condition, or those who are recently bereaved, homeless or a young carer, are all eligible to apply up until November 1, 2018.
James Blake, chief executive of YHA in England and Wales, said: 'YHA has been supporting young people for more than 85 years so we understand first-hand the benefits a short break can bring to their lives, particularly those living in difficult circumstances.
'Our breaks programmes are designed to give these young people an enriching and much needed getaway.'
You may also want to watch:
Underpinned by YHA's ethos of 'where you go changes who you become', the breaks programmes were launched after it was revealed more than two million children miss out on holidays because the challenges of daily life are too great.
Research has shown that a break can improve the health and wellbeing of children, increase their ability to cope with future challenges, improve behaviour and school attendance, build life skills and improve future prospects.
- 1 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 2 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 3 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 4 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 5 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 6 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 7 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 8 'Dangerous' neck restraint led to death of Pontins guest, inquest finds
- 9 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 10 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
Groups of young people can choose to stay in youth hostels located within city, rural and coastal areas that are easily accessible by public transport. During the break they will be provided with accommodation and meals throughout their stay.
To apply for either a YHA Challenging Lives or Challenging Places break, visit www.yha.org.uk/apply-support.
Applications from social workers, schools and youth support workers are welcomed, with support available for groups of up to 12 young people.
For advice on completing the application, contact the YHA Breaks team by calling 01629 592 723, email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visiting https://www.yha.org.uk/