Youth club waltz led to 60 years of marriage for Lowestoft couple
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A couple who met at a Lowestoft youth club are celebrating 60 happy years of marriage.
Maclolm and Yvonne Barker first met when they danced the Tennessee Waltz together at Colville House youth club when they were 17.
They were married four years later on March 30, 1957 at St John's Church in Lowestoft and honeymooned at Butlins.
Mr Barker completed his national service and stayed on with the Army until shortly before the arrival of his first child.
After leaving the Army, Mr Barker joined the fire service, working part time at Saxmundham and Leiston for a total of four years before joining the whole time fire service in Lowestoft in 1963.
You may also want to watch:
After retiring when he was 55, Mr Barker continued to work for the fire service training department for a further ten years.
Mrs Barker worked as a dinner lady and cleaner at Woods Loke Primary School whilst also raising the couple's four children.
- 1 Storms uncover another large Suffolk shipwreck
- 2 Hit-and-run leaves cyclist with head injuries
- 3 Decision to develop 33 homes in field deferred
- 4 Motorists face 25-mile diversions with roads set to be closed
- 5 Bid to demolish care home and build new one rejected
- 6 Two people injured after crash between BMW and Vauxhall
- 7 Seafront beach chalets demolished as part of major £1.6m scheme
- 8 Plan passed to turn care home into 11 rooms for adults with complex needs
- 9 Hospital first in UK to open vaccine clinic for people with disabilities
- 10 Man in 70s airlifted to hospital following fall from bike
She enjoys singing and has been a member of several choirs.
She is currently a member of the choir at St Peter and St John Church in Kirkley and has helped to raised thousands of pounds for church funds with her singing.
Mr and Mrs Barker, of Farnham Close, joked that they quarrelled every day but added that their marriage had lasted because they got on well with each other and had similar interests.
The couple, who also have five grandchildren and three great grandchildren, are planning to celebrate their anniversary with family at the Hotel Victoria.