Lowestoft Town 0 Heybridge Swifts 2

Lowestoft Town's hopes of sealing a final showdown in the battle for promotion suffered late heartbreak.

After dominating possession and creating good chances in a goalless first half, the visitors came more into the game after the interval as they hit two second half goals to triumph.

An excellent crowd of 860 turned out for this eagerly awaited Pitching In Isthmian League North division play-off semi final tie at the Fosters Solicitors Community Stadium on Tuesday evening.

After injury doubts, Blues boss Jamie Godbold was able to name skipper Travis Cole, midfielder Dave Hinton and striker Jake Reed in his starting line up - with Cole replacing Chris Henderson in the only change from Saturday's win over East Thurrock.

Lowestoft Journal: Lowestoft Town FC's Sam Johnson in action. Picture: Shirley D WhitlowLowestoft Town FC's Sam Johnson in action. Picture: Shirley D Whitlow (Image: Shirley D Whitlow)

Lowestoft started positively, and were inches away from taking the lead in the second minute as Rhys Logan's dipping half volley hit the bar with the keeper beaten.

After forcing a number of early corners that were repelled, skipper Cole went close following an inswinging 20th minute corner but his effort went wide.

Hipperson then weaved some left wing magic two minutes later to cross for Jake Reed, but his header was saved.

Continuing to look the most likely to break the deadlock with good build up and combination play, Lowestoft pushed Heybridge back but the visitors defence held firm as it remained goalless at the interval.

The Swifts came out with an attacking threat at the start of the second half, and Blues keeper Warren Burwood was forced into two good saves within the opening five minutes.

But Lowestoft responded and created another good opportunity, as Hipperson broke clear after beating a defender but his shot was saved.

Lowestoft were made to pay for this as the Swifts took the lead when a long clearance was flicked on for Sam Park to fire home in the 60th minute.

A triple Lowestoft substitution in the 72nd minute saw Bammant, McIntosh and Henderson replace Murphy, Hinton and Logan.

As the Blues pressed for an equaliser they were hit on the counter as Park's shot was saved by Burwood with Rob Harvey following up to make it 0-2.

The visitors held firm to seal a final play off place this Saturday at AFC Sudbury.