Blues face replay after FA Trophy stalemate

PUBLISHED: 15:18 31 October 2010

LOWESTOFT and Chippenham will have to do it all over again at Crown Meadow on Tuesday night night after Saturday's FA Trophy draw in Wiltshire.

In an encounter that will be considered disappointing by both sides, a 73rd minute penalty by the hosts’ striker Alan Griffin cancelled out an earlier own goal to force the replay.

The Trawlerboys felt hard done by, however, claiming a foul on Greg Crane in the build-up to the penalty went unnoticed.

In a scrappy first half the hosts, known as the Bluebirds, posed an early threat as Sam Allison looked to latch onto strike partner Alan Griffin’s dangerous flick-ons, but town’s new keeper Ian McLoughlin was quickly out to smother any danger.

On a bobbly surface, the Trawlerboys struggled to create any chances and had to rely on set-pieces for just two shots off target.

The action markedly improved after the break, however, as Lowestoft began to get the ball down and open up the Chippenham defence.

Joe Francis created a chance within a minute of the restart, beating his man and firing the ball across the face of the goal just out of the reach of Lee McGlone and Adrian Forbes.

And it was down the left wing that the opening came for the Trawlerboys’ goal – Forbes’ cross being scooped into his own net by Bluebirds’ defender Greg Tindle.

Loan signing McLoughlin showed his worth with a good save to deny Tindle a headed goal from a corner.

Alan Griffin narrowly missed getting on the end of a Luke Gullick cross, and James Martin headed into the side netting from close range.

The introduction of Ashley Edenborough opened things up for the home side, and within a minute of coming on he’d won the equalising penalty.

Griffin played a ball over the top that Edenborough and Greg Crane appeared to arrive to at the same time. As Crane fell to the ground, Edenborough burst into the box to be brought down by Curtis Haynes-Brown.

Both sides felt hard done by with the decision, the Trawlerboys claiming Edenborough fouled Crane, and the Bluebirds suggesting that Haynes-Brown should have been sent off.

Trawlerboys coach Craig Fleming was so upset with the decision he received a booking from the referee after the final whistle.

“I couldn’t believe it,” he later said. “It was such an obvious foul. It’s just one of those things where there’s a ball over the top, Greg’s got there first and the lad’s tripped him up.”

Griffin hammered home the penalty off the underside of the bar.

Neither keeper had any more involvement for the remaining 20 minutes, and only a late curling effort wide by Lowestoft sub Jamie Forshaw went close to breaking the deadlock.

Fleming was satisfied with a professional performance away from home. “It was a direct physical game and I thought that, to a man, we stood up to it well in difficult conditions which didn’t suit our style.

“They have a tight bumpy pitch and the ball’s in the air quite a bit, but when they started to tire gaps started to appear and we started to get it down and play it a bit.”

“We’ve got to get this one first,” Fleming said, “but the opportunity is there to progress a long way.”

Chippenham: Snoddy, Martin, Tindle, Williams, Casey, Kite, Lye, Gullick, Griffin, Allison (Edenborough 72), Harvey (Taylor 72). Subs (not used): Benison, Rudge, Halliday. Goal: Griffin (73 pen). Booked: Harvey, Martin, Tindle.

Lowestoft: McLoughlin, Cave-Brown, Smith, Fisk, Crane, Haynes-Brown, Mitchell, Ainsley, McGlone, Forbes, Francis (Forshaw 82). Subs (not used): Godbold, Bloomfield, Halliday, Gaughran. Goal: Tindle og (54). Booked: McGlone, Smith, Forbes, Crane.

Ref: A Newell (Yate). Att: 383.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal