VC Baracchi pair in action on New Year’s Day
- Credit: Archant
Two Velo Club Baracchi riders took part in CC Breckland's New Year's Day open time trial and very nearly recorded the same time.
In the 10-mile event on the A11 near Morley, VCB veterans John Swanbury and Chris Womack enjoyed a personal duel and just for once Swanbury came out on top by just one second, with 24.46 to Womack's 24.47.
Twenty-five riders were entered in advance and in the good weather nearly all actually took part.
Three riders finished in under 21 minutes, with Bill Benyon of Team Pedal Revolution the quickest, in 20.12, followed by Luke Dankert of Befordshire Road RT in 20.27 and Morris Bacon of Dap CC third in 20.49.
Cindy Berry of Pedal Power Cycles/Ipswich won for the ladies in 23.27 and CC Breckland won the team prize.
You may also want to watch:
A younger veteran, Hatfield Peverell rider Colin Lewin of Velo Schils Internike RT, won the veteran prize with 22.13, which gave him a veteran 'plus' of +4.32 (faster by that amount than his age-related standard time).
The VCB duo were out of the prizes in view of the unusually small number of entries, which resulted in there being only one veteran prize available.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 2 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 3 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 4 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 5 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 6 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 7 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 8 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 9 Three men arrested after van targeted in break-in
- 10 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
Womack's plus at age 71 was +4.27 and Swanbury's was +4.16, though in the season they will be back on the same age and the same age standard time of 29.14 to beat.
VCB's 50-mile reliability trials organised by John Thompson are on Sunday, January 14 from Oulton Community Centre with the following start times: 4 hours at 8.30am, 3.5 hours 9am, 3 hours 9.30am.
Hockey: After the traditional Christmas and New Year break the local hockey season resumes tomorrow.
Lowestoft Ladies return to action in Division One North of the East League with a tough home fixture against runaway leaders Harleston Magpies II, who have won all 10 of their matches so far.
Lowestoft Railway men resume their bid for promotion from Division Four North East with a home fixture agaubnst Ipswich III while the seconds are at Ipswich Cranes in Division Five North East.
Lowestoft Railway Ladies host Norwich City III in the Empresa League Premier Division and the second team entertain City V1 in Division Two.