Davey delivers for L&Y

PUBLISHED: 07:00 11 January 2008 | UPDATED: 19:23 05 July 2010

Lowestoft & Yarmouth 55, Fakenham 0

AFTER a three-week lay-off it took L&Y about 10 minutes to get into their stride and put in another excellent home performance.

Lowestoft & Yarmouth 55, Fakenham 0

AFTER a three-week lay-off it took L&Y about 10 minutes to get into their stride and put in another excellent home performance.

Despite the constant advice offered by the visiting captain to the exchange referee from Essex, L&Y maintained their discipline and thoroughly deserved the win.

The front row platform of Wayne Nixon, Chris Howe and Graeme Newton provided the power up front and the second row of Simon Coleman and Ollie Curtis dominated the home side's lineouts. The L&Y back row were first at just about every breakdown with Lewis Davey putting in a man of the match performance at No 6.

The L&Y three-quarters were also in a rampant mood and they were very well led by Scott Nelson who played himself at inside centre and put Byron Clarke at stand off.

Tom Smith started at full back and young Alex Spindler played on the left wing.

L&Y's first score came from a well-worked threes move as scrum half Josh Fewkes fed to Clarke who put away S Nelson to make ground before passing to brother Kris Nelson and then looping round to take the return. He then flipped out to the fast -paced Smith who joined the line from full-back and jinked through the defence to score.

The second try soon followed and was very similar to the first with the same players involved and Smith rounding it off for his second try. Clarke converted.

It was then the turn of the L&Y pack to show their skills when Coleman took clean lineout ball and the pack drove over from 15 out and No 8 Carl Lewis was at the back to touch down.

Soon after Fewkes and Clarke combined to send K Nelson away on a 30-yard run and he found Smith who took it on before cleverly passing to Neil Langley who took it over to score. Clarke converted.

Just before half time L&Y took a 31-point lead when following clever three-quarter play and another Smith break Davey was at the end of the line to score. Clarke converted.

Before the half time whistle went L&Y lost Smith to injury and young Matt Howell came on to the wing and Langley went to full back.

Fakenham tightened up at the start of the second half and it took the home side some time to break down their dogged defence.

The first score came when Coleman again took clean lineout ball and the forwards drove on and Davey was on hand to touch down.

Soon after, S Nelson got his name on the scoresheet as Kiwis Matt Sole and Clarke combined to send him on his way from 30 yards and he wrong-footed the defence to weave in under the posts. Clarke then converted.

Curtis then sustained a shoulder injury and Carl Stephenson was brought on as prop with Newton dropping back to the second row. The final L&Y sub was used soon after when Lewis went off and Adam Scott came on.

Following a scrum, taken against the head near the Fakenham line, Clarke slipped the ball to S Nelson who jinked through for his second. Clarke converted.

The final score came from L&Y skipper Matt Sole when again the Fakenham scrum was put under tremendous pressure and as the ball emerged at the back of their scrum Fewkes harried them and the ball was split with Sole on hand to pick up and dive over.

Tredwell Developments MoM: Lewis Davey.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal