David Drake wins Lowestoft & Beccles table tennis tournament
THE Lowestoft & Beccles Table Tennis tournament was held at The Denes High School, for pupils in the Under 13 age range.
Pupils from East Point Academy, Denes High School and Pakefield High School all featured teams, but only Pakefield featured a girls team.
The boys' competition saw some excellent play in the group section, as pupils completed a series of 'round robin' leagues, with top the four group winners progressing to a knock out semi final.
All matches were played in good spirit and featured examples of sportsmanship. It was in the knock out phase that Pakefield featured strongly with three of the four semi finalists represented. David Drake, Elliot Harper and Rory Holland all playing 'up' an age group, reached the top of their game in the knock out stage, though a strong player from The Denes made it as the finalist against David.
David went onto win with some excellent spin play to take the title of Lowestoft & Beccles Table Tennis champion, with respectable finishes from Rory (third) and Elliot (fourth).
You may also want to watch:
The girls' event saw the Pakefield team play off one another to take the singles title in a round robin event.
The five girls, all relatively new to the sport, have improved immensely through practices at school and this was clearly evident in the final where Jess Green narrowly beat Olivia McWhinnie.
- 1 Cash and computer stolen as post office smashed during burglary
- 2 Flats in Lowestoft fail to sell at auction
- 3 Smirking teen in tank top and baseball cap exposes himself to woman
- 4 Last chance to have your say on plans for 150 new Lowestoft homes
- 5 Lowestoft men to be sentenced after admitting assault of man
- 6 Teenager arrested following alleged assault in Lowestoft
- 7 Fire crews called to fisheries laboratory in Lowestoft
- 8 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency in Southwold
- 10 Ambassador School status joy for 'fantastic' primary
Pakefield are proud of the pupils' achievement in this new sport, and would like to congratulate all players on their dedication and commitment to training.
Thanks are also given to the School Games Organiser Jeffrey Hoey for running the event, The Denes staff for hosting and the excellent sports leaders who officiated.