Greens fail in bid for League Cup as Jockeys gallop into the final

PUBLISHED: 15:33 01 March 2017 | UPDATED: 15:33 01 March 2017

Gorleston's Jacob Short shields the ball from an Ely player during Saturday's 2-1 defeat for the Greens. Picture by David Hardy.

Gorleston's Jacob Short shields the ball from an Ely player during Saturday's 2-1 defeat for the Greens. Picture by David Hardy.


Gorleston were knocked out of the League Cup at the semi-final stage on Tuesday when they went down 3-0 at home to Newmarket.

The Jockeys came out of the stalls fast and had the Greens on the back foot from the off.

There was an element of misfortune about all three goals Gorleston conceded, the first in the 25th minute.

Gorleston tried to play out from the back and were closed down fast. A back pass to Parkin put the young keeper under pressure and his attempted clearance was charged down and Jamie Thurlbourne fired it into the roof of the net.

Parkin made two fine saves to ensure his side went in at the break only one down.

Jack Garrod replaced the injured Peter Oldham at half time and, within five minutes, should have been awarded a penalty after he was sent flying in the box.

Then Deakan Napier made it 0-2 even though he looked offside.

A further four minutes and George Yusuff was fortunate to only receive a yellow card for a pull back on Lewis Whitehead when he was through.

However, full punishment was dished out by Newmarket from the free kick 20 yards out. Parkin saved the initial effort but was unable to keep hold of the ball and Whitehead was first to react and poked the ball home.

A free kick from Keegan Middleton smacked into the wall, a Garrod dipper didn’t dip enough then Garrod pounced on a miscue from the Newmarket keeper, who made amends by getting a slight touch to a low shot, although the referee awarded a goal kick.

Newmarket now go on to face Mildenhall in the final.

Gorleston are back in action earlier than usual as they are at home to Kirkley & Pakefield tonight while Great Yarmouth are at home to Felixstowe & Walton tomorrow and it’s a “pay what you want” promotion with under 16s free if accompanied by an adult.

A depleted Bloaters side drew 0-0 at Haverhill at the weekend and joint-mangers Martyn Sinclair and Adam Mason were philosophical: “Given the late call-offs we would have taken a point, although as the game unfolded we could have taken all three,” said Mason.

“Our main concern was keeping 11 players on the pitch as any injury would have caused us a real headache.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal