HOCKEY: Lowestoft Ladies take title
Lowestoft Ladies I 2, Bury Ladies I 1LOWESTOFT went into the penultimate game of the season knowing that a win against arch rivals Bury would secure the league title.
Lowestoft Ladies I 2, Bury Ladies I 1
LOWESTOFT went into the penultimate game of the season knowing that a win against arch rivals Bury would secure the league title.
Bury had everything to play for with the chance to join the Lowestoft girls in promotion still up for grabs.
You may also want to watch:
Bury started the stronger side and put the Lowestoft defence under early pressure. A deflected short corner gave Bury the early advantage but the Lowestoft side were inspired by the ever-present support on the sidelines.
Lowestoft piled on the pressure but chances came and went as Izzy Rothon, Charlotte Bond and Chloe McMorran all went close. Undeterred, the pressure continued with the midfield line holding firm as Bury were penned into their half. Lowestoft were rewarded with a penalty stroke which was coolly converted by Chloe McMorran.
- 1 New outdoor theatre hopes to bring post lockdown performances to the woods
- 2 Rapid Covid test sites planned for Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft
- 3 Minke whale to be removed from Lowestoft beach
- 4 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 5 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain
- 6 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 7 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 8 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 9 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 10 Suzuki and Honda motorbikes stolen in overnight thefts
The second half saw Lowestoft pick up where they left off with Bury having no place to hide. The impressive Charlotte Holland continued to strike fear into the Bury defence with her pace and with the pressure once again mounting, McMorran pounced for her second of the game and the celebrations said it all!
Lowestoft continued to press with impressive and committed displays across the team.
The final whistle was met with jubilation as Lowestoft secured the title and the team of Kate Bond, Jess Holland, Alex Bond, Kim Armon, Holly Limmer, Hannah Pickess, Charlotte Bond, Chloe McMorran, Sophie O'Neill, Vic Davies, Hannah Nunn, Izzy Rothon and Charlotte Holland celebrated with coach Clyde Camburn, who enjoys the championship and promotion in his first season with the club.
Lowestoft player of the match was Chloe McMorran after a match-winning display.