Hockey reports

PUBLISHED: 14:04 26 November 2010

Bury Town Ladies 0, Lowestoft Ladies I 3

LOWESTOFT were eagerly awaiting the introduction of a new formation which was thrown into jeopardy with the retirement of Jess Holland at the end of the warm up. This left Vicki Davies being pushed into an unfamiliar role in centre midfield with Grace Lawrence anticipating a full game at right back as Lowestoft were left with the bare eleven. The early play was even while Lowestoft came to terms with their 3-5-2 formation and won the first short corner of the game on 10 minutes. The keeper done well to save Charlotte Bond’s initial strike but could do nothing when she pounced onto the rebound. The defence of Alex Bond, Kim Armon and Grace were coping well with the pace of the home attack and Kate Bond saved well from Bury’s first short corner. Lowestoft were relying on quick breaks, and were unlucky when Holly Limmer moved the ball well out of defence to force another short that saw Kate TG’s drag flick saved by the keeper. Lowestoft then dominated for a period of the game and this resulted in Charlotte B scoring the second goal 5 minutes from half time with a straight strike from a short corner. This led to a frantic finish to the half which saw Kate B make a double save to thwart Bury while at the other end Chloe McMorran flicked a shot just wide and Charlotte Holland had a shot cleared off the line.

Bury came out strong at the start of the second half but the formation stood strong and gradually started to wear the home team down with some resolute tackles. Unfortunately Kate TG mistimed one in the 20th minute, which led to her having a cool down period and Lowestoft to battle on a player down. Back to full strength Hannah Pickess intercepted well and raced out of defence to find Kate TG whose first time pass saw Charlotte H race clear of the Bury defence and round the keeper to score and put the result beyond Bury’s reach.

Flying Dutchmans PoM: Grace Lawrence.

Loddon Ladies II 0, Lowestoft Railway Ladies II 3

RAILWAY started brightly in their match at the weekend, pressurising Loddon’s goal from the onset and took an early lead when Emma Julian made a swift break down the wing.

She fed the ball to Alice Oldman who carried it around the top of the ‘D’ finishing with a neat pass in to Niamh McLoughlin who laid the ball off for Jo Pallant to flick past the home’s side’s keeper.

The visitors continued to dominate play with midfielders Germaine Wood, Oldman and Helen Sterry passing the ball between them causing the Loddon defence to work hard. The second goal came when Julian won the ball and crossed it to Pallant who was waiting at the top of the D to fire past the Loddon keeper with a perfect strike. Railway came close to scoring again with Hannah Atkin causing the defence problems with her driving runs and McLoughlin showing some particularly skilful stick work in front of the home sides’ goal, causing the Loddon keeper to make a spectacular save.

After the break Loddon stepped up a gear and it was Railway’s turn to defend in numbers and keeper Beckie Edmeades was called in to action, kicking the ball deftly away and Sterry made a superb goal line clearance. Defenders Katy Harris, Jo Beare and Emily Rushmere stood firm and kept the Loddon attack at bay allowing Atkin, Wood, Sterry, Julian and Oldman to resume their neat passing game and switch play to the other end of the field with Wood in particular controlling the direction of play. Railway’s final goal came when Pallant secured her hat trick after managing to slip the ball across the line in a goal mouth scramble. This was a fine team effort by Railway in a game that was played on a very cold, damp evening. Player of the Match sponsored by M&S Cleans: Helen Sterry.

Lowestoft Railway Ladies I 3, Harleston Magpies III 4

THIS game for third place in the league was played out in the fog and under floodlights. It became a game where the penalty corners made all the difference. Railway settled well and for the first part of the game took the play to Harleston. They were soon rewarded when the ball was passed from the right into the circle and Claire Ward, who was unmarked, turned to put the ball passed the keeper.

Harleston picked up their game and whenever a Railway player picked up the ball there would be three Harleston players ready to put in the tackle. Their dogged determination paid off when the Harleston forwards were given a free hit close to the Railway circle. Before the Railway defence even registered the hit had been awarded, the Harleston forward had taken the ball into the circle and hammered it into the back of the net to level the score.

Soon after the start of the second half, Harleston added their second goal from a penalty corner that was superbly struck from the edge of the circle. Harleston’s third goal also came from a penalty corner, although this time the initial shot was deflected up into the top corner of the net by another Harleston player. Railway came back with their second goal when Kat Oldman put the ball passed the keeper during a penalty corner.

Railway were unfortunate that Harleston’s 4th goal came from an own goal when the ball hit a defender’s stick during yet another penalty corner. Railway managed a third goal after Lily Coosemans picked the ball up and passed it into the circle for Claire Scrivener to score. With 15 minutes left to play Railway kept the pressure on the Harleston defence but were unable to level the score.


Lowestoft Railway 3, I.E.S II 2

This game started in what has now become familiar fashion for Railway this season, with them on the offensive and dictating the play with a slick passing game. After just six minutes Matt Payne won the ball on the edge of the Railway D and then quickly turned defence into attack with a pass to Ross Kozyrko on the left wing who used his pace to good effect before crossing the ball in for Sam Daniels to sweep into the goal. After fourteen minutes Railway extended their lead when Ross Kozyrko again, this time picked up a pass from Jamie Ayers and ran at the IES defence before driving a crisp shot across the goal which Jason Harris tapped in on the far post. Four minutes later Dave Berry chased onto a through pass from Jason Harris and slotted the ballinto the goal with his first touch after coming on as a substitute to give Railway a comfortable lead.

With Railway going into the interval with a three goal advantage, the second half should have been a formality but instead turned out to be somewhat difficult for them. When what seemed a perfectly good goal from Dave Berry was disallowed, only for IES to then score moments later, the game started to boil over and deteriorate as tensions increased. Some players began to question the umpiring decisions and a few rash challenges started to creep into the game. The situation seemed to favour IES as Railway lost focus and their passing game broke down.

Pelicans III 1, Lowestoft Railway 12

RAILWAY recorded their biggest win of the season on Saturday at Pelicans of Kings Lynn. From the first whistle signalling the start of the game, the home side were overwhelmed by the pace and guile of the Railway attack. After just two minutes Sam Daniels ran onto a pass from Matt Payne to slot the ball into the goal to give the visitors the lead. A few minutes later the provider then turned goalscorer with a reverse stick shot, picking up a rebound off the keepers pads from a short corner. From this point the floodgates opened with some clinical finishing from the energized Railway forwards.

Jason Harris swept in a cross from the right wing by Gary Randlesome for goal number three. Gary Randlesome then got his name on the scoresheet by successfully converting the first of two penalty flicks awarded in the game. Sam Daniels scored his second goal steering in a cross from Chris Ward, following a surging run from the player along the wing. Jason Harris then scored his second by knocking in a rebound off the keeper. Somewhere amongst the seven first half goals scored by Railway the home side did manage a consolation goal, from a short corner.

The interval provided an interruption from the Railway onslaught for the Pelicans defence, but the second half whistle brought that to an abrupt end. Two further goals from Jason Harris brought his individual tally to four, and another from Sam Daniels completed his hat-trick. Jamie Ayers converted a short corner with a powerful flick. The same player then scored again in similar fashion, this time aided by a deflection off the defenders back on the goal line.

This result keeps Railway four points clear at the top of Division 4 N.E.

Dap UK Ltd MoM was Sam Daniels.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal