Junior football match reports

PUBLISHED: 14:59 04 February 2011

Anglian Combination
Waveney 3, Mattishall 0

WAVENEY kept up their good form, despite only having a skeleton staff to select from due to injuries and suspensions.

They still managed to put in their best team performance of the season to come out on top against a battling Mattishall side.

The home side from the first whistle were the more offensive out of the two challengers, with midfield duo Salmon and Scarff orchestrating play and constantly suplying the goods for the flying wingers of Bunter and Barker.

It wasn’t long before Mattishall unleashed their secret weapon that came in the shape of a long throw, constantly bombarding the Waveney box time and time again at every opportunity possible.

This was repelled well by the solid gold and black back four of Gamble, Ballard, Beecher and Grigg with the gloves of Eieneker between the sticks.

Waveney went ahead through stand in skipper Salmon. He collected the ball and with only one thought on his mind let fly with an unstopable peach that whizzed into the roof of the net from full 30 yards.

As Mattishall pushed for the equaliser Waveney caught them on the break, Barker playing the ball wide to the left flank where Aldis twisted and turned the full back inside out, fired across the keeper who made an outstanding save only to see Millington crash home the rebound. With time running out for the away side, Waveney struck again. The deadly front three of Aldis, Millington and Barker combined with an intricate breakaway before Aldis dinked the onrushing keeper for an important 3-0 home victory. MoM: Dan Grigg.

Notley’s Lowestoft and 
District League
Blundeston Magpies 2, 
Spexhall 1

ON a very heavy, muddy pitch, Spexhall started much better than Magpies and pressured their defence which for the first 10 minutes had not settled and deserved their lead after 15 minutes when a left wing cross-come-shot drifted over McNamara and into the top far corner.

This woke Magpies up and they began to battle. Mawford went close when a good centre from Owen Smith was put across but he sliced his kick.

The game levelled out and both keepers made some good saves.

Magpies levelled on 30 minutes when left back Gavin Rawlings ran right through his half passing several Spexhall players and continued his run avoiding tackles and unleashed an unstoppable shot from a good 30 yards giving the keeper no chance.

Spexhall then hit the bar but Magpies held out until half-time. The second half started with captain Bracey having to be subbed through an injury. Chong went to centre half and Griffin took the centre of midfield. Also Magpies began to boss the game and looked the most likely to score. Jarvis sent a couple of shots over the bar as did Griffin. Martin and Mawford were getting more into the game and became constant threats.

Mawford was fouled just outside the box and Jarvis scored from the free kick. Spexhall upped their game and it became end to end. Crowe and Owen Smith had a couple of shots which just went wide and Ash Smith put in a good header from a corner.

Spexhall threw everything forward and nearly scored but Chong and Woodrow coped with their dangerous strikers. With time running out Martin unleashed a cracking shot which the keeper did well to put over. This was a super win for Magpies.

Norton 2, Hearts of Oak 4

NORTON’S inconsistent season continued on Saturday as the team were beaten 4-2 by Hearts of Oak.

Norton gained an early lead through Andy Green but Hearts responded immediately. The teams started the second half all square but Norton were still in the changing rooms as Hearts took the lead and then increased it from the spot.

Norton scored again through Steven Hak but Hearts sealed the win with a late fourth.

Telecom Rovers 1, 
Norton Reserves 3

NORTON Reserves celebrated their first league win of the campaign and with it moved off the bottom on the second division following their 3-1 win at Telecom Rovers.

Telecom scored in the first minute but Norton responded through Dominic Moore. Sean Higginbothan then netted a double to increase their lead and celebrate their first three point haul. The Haddiscoe Crown MoM: Josh Jenkins.

Lowestoft Sunday League
AFC Carlton 2, 
Oulton Athletic 5

OULTON started well and opened the scoring when a Carlton defender put the ball into his own net whilst under a lot of pressure.

Jamie Boore sent the keeper the wrong way to score Athletic’s second from the penalty spot. The home-side struggled to match the pace of their visitors strikers and conceded a third before the break.

Dean Newman unselfishly knocked the ball across the goal for strike partner Mark Nicholson to score from close in. Newman added the fourth himself after a fine solo run. Oulton then made changes and Carlton scored a well struck goal before the re-jigged had time to settle.

Sixteen year old substitute Aaron Mills restored Athletic’s four-goal lead after only being on the pitch for ten minutes. His determined run resulted in his first goal in adult football. Less than five minutes before the final whistle Carlton scored a second from the penalty-spot after a mis-timed tackle on the edge of the box.

Waveney Hearts Reserves 4, The Carlton 2

HOTSHOT James Bemment made a dream Waveney Hearts Reserves debut as his new side leapfrogged fellow promotion hopefuls The Carlton into second spot in a classy Division Three encounter at Denes High School.

Bemment hit a stunning hat-trick as the young Hearts side eventually saw off the battling visitors and it took the striker only 10 minutes to open his Waveney account as he latched onto a Paul Hunter through ball to round the Carlton keeper and finish with aplomb.

The experienced visitors squared the contest after 28 minutes when Waveney keeper Billy Brice was left exposed and with old hands Carl Hales and Joel Bray prominent up front, the contest was well balanced until Bemment rose to nod in a Nick Furser free kick at the far post just before the break (44) to restore Hearts’ lead.

All-action front-man Hunter looked like he’d sealed the victory when he lashed home from 12 yards on the hour after neat approach play from sub Scott Hanson and Bemment but The Carlton still posed a constant threat to the young Waveney back line of Jack Jenner, Shane Porter, Josh Armes and Martin Saunders and when the visitors struck from a corner with only four minutes on the clock, Hearts looked in for an uncomfortable finale.

But on-fire Bemment unleashed a 30 yard, 89th minute screamer to calm Hearts’ jangling nerves and complete his hatrick in style, cementing his new side’s position in one of the automatic promotion slots and putting the Waveney outfit right in the middle of the division three title shake-up.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal