Below par K&P Royals slip to defeat in tough conditions
- Credit: Photograph: SUFFOLK FA
Kirkley & Pakefield slipped to a 2-0 defeat at Woodbridge Town in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division last Saturday.
With Kieren Underdown out injured Kaiden Goldspink stepped into the starting line-up.
With the game spoilt by strong gusting winds and heavy rain, The Royals had the advantage in the first half but didn’t use it well with very little troubling the home goal, as the best efforts came in the 40th minute when Ben George headed wide and Danny Conroy’s shot was deflected wide for a corner. The home team only had a couple of chances as well that Jordan Smith dealt with confidently.
The second half was only three minutes old when a penalty was awarded against Lewis Flower for handball.
Nick Ingram fired home to put the Woodpeckers 1-0 ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Now playing with the strong wind the home team were awarded a free kick in the 68th minute some 40-plus yards from goal.
Former Royals player Liam Scopes stepped up and hit a spectacular shot past keeper Smith to double the lead.
- 1 Woman scared to leave her house after being closely followed by man
- 2 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 3 'Welcome back!' - Glasses raised as popular pub reopens
- 4 Woman punched on the ground after walking crutch was kicked away
- 5 'Innovative' new street light sparks interest on the coast
- 6 Lowestoft mother spared jail after admitting cruelty to one-year-old son
- 7 'We can't wait' - Boutique owners prepare for April 12 re-opening
- 8 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
- 9 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 10 'A redevelopment opportunity' - Empty town centre shop and maisonette set for auction
A few minutes later the same player tried another free kick from 25 yards out but Smith gathered well low down.
The Royals made a double substitution on 75 minutes with Cameron Brooks replacing Ben George and Cameron Russell making way for George Barber, who was making his first team debut.
This brought a bit of life into the away team’s attacking play with Conroy’s shot bringing the best out of the home keeper. A good run and shot by Barber brought a good save from the keeper before another attempt saw Barber shoot just over.
Keeper Smith made a fine save from Josh Laws’ free kick in the last minute.
This 2-0 win gave Woodbridge their first league win of the season against a below par Royals, in difficult conditions.
K&P: J Smith, C Bell, A Cox, B George (C Brooks 75 mins), J Herbert, L Flower, K Haylock, J Haverson, D Conroy, C Russell (G Barber 75 mins), K Goldspink. Unused subs: L Tillett, A Meeken.
Kirkley & Pakefield’s scheduled home match at Walmer Road against Stowmarket Town on Saturday has been called off after some Stowmarket players tested positive for COVID-19.
On Tuesday, November 3, the current unbeaten league leaders Norwich United visit Walmer Road to play K&P in a Thurlow Nunn Premier Division league match, 7.45pm kick off.
The Reserves returned to Walmer Road last Saturday and collected their first league win of the season with a 2-0 victory against Watton United. On Saturday they travel to play Thetford Rovers, 2pm kick off.
Last Saturday saw K&PFC ’B’ team in Lowestoft & District League Division 1 match at home on the 3G Arena beating Mariners FC 9-0.
This weekend the K&PFC U23s are at home on the 3G Arena entertaining Norton Athletic Reserves with the ‘B’ team travelling to play Earsham Reserves both matches have a 2pm kick off.