Kirkley & Pakefield claim impressive 4-1 win at Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
Kirkley and Pakefield claimed an eye-catching pre-season win at neighbours Lowestoft Town on Saturday.
The Royals turned in an impressive display to beat their higher ranked opponents 4-1 at the Amber Dew Events Stadium, despite going behind early on.
The home team went into an early 13th minute lead thanks to free-kick from summer signing Ollie Humphrey but newly re-signed Kyle Baker levelled for the Royals before captain Jack Herbert put the visitors in front.
Baker scored his second to make the score 3-1 and with around quarter of an hour to go young youth team product Dylan Blades scored his first senior goal to make it 4-1 win for Kirkley & Pakefield.
With pre-season matches now in full swing the Royals started their preparations last Tuesday with a match played on the 3G Arena against Waveney.
You may also want to watch:
The Royals fielded a completely different squad in each half and after a good competitive work-out Waveney came back from two down to draw 2-2 with the home team's goals coming from Michael Tacon and Joel Wilson.
On the Thursday evening a good crowd saw an entertaining game against a skilful Norwich City Under 18s Academy team.
- 1 Free parking for 30 minutes at 48 car parks
- 2 Family 'truly moved' as crowds remember building company founder
- 3 Town's Post Office boost ahead of Christmas rush
- 4 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 5 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 6 Will Suffolk see snow as wintry showers hit before the weekend?
- 7 Plea for answers after blacksmith's 'devastating' death
- 8 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 9 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 10 Lack of information sharing 'could lead to more deaths' after 95-year-old attacked
The first 25 minutes saw the home team have the better of the game but a well taken free-kick changed that, with the young Canaries scoring and quickly following up with two more for a three goal half-time lead.
Two further excellently worked goals earlier in the second period saw the youngsters romp home with a 5-0 win but it was a good exercise for both teams on a glorious summer evening.
This Saturday the Royals continue their pre-season with a home game on the 3G Arena when taking on Thurlow Nunn Division One outfit Leiston Reserves (3pm).
The Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division fixtures were announced this week and Kirkley & Pakefield start their league programme as last season with an attractive home derby at Walmer Road against Gorleston on Tuesday, August 8 (7.45pm).
The game against the side who finished fouirth last season will be followed with another home match on Saturday, August 12 against Haverhill Rovers (3pm).
Before that there is an FA Cup extra preliminary round tie to look forward to, also at home, on Saturday, August 5 against Saffron Walden Town.