Kirkley & Pakefield draw a game they should have won comfortably

PUBLISHED: 07:36 20 October 2017

Kyle Baker hits the woodwork for Kirkley & Pakefield against leaders Felixstowe & Walton on Friday evening. Picture: Steve Wood

Kyle Baker hits the woodwork for Kirkley & Pakefield against leaders Felixstowe & Walton on Friday evening. Picture: Steve Wood

Steve Wood Photography

Tuesday evening was derby time up the A47 at The Wellesley with Great Yarmouth Town hosting Kirkley & Pakefield in a league match.

The Royals were without Max Wall, who was suspended for the one game, with Jordan Haverson returning.

The visitors started strongly and in the second minute a Liam Harvey-Cooper header was brilliantly pushed over by Jack Whatmough. A good passing move then ended with Kyle Baker shooting wide before a superb 30 yard volley by Miguel Lopez thundered against the bar.

On 17 minutes a Lopez shot from 20 yards was brilliantly saved by Whatmough, a Baker header went close and Haverson shot wide.

The home team’s first real attempt at goal came on the half hour mark when a Sean Perfect shot was blocked. Then another Lopez effort from a free-kick was punched over by the keeper and Harvey-Cooper’s shot was well saved.

With Kirkley & Pakefield having completely dominated a shock was in store with the home team taking the lead on the stroke of half-time when Aaron Sanders hammered home from inside the area following a free-kick.

The Royals levelled two minutes into the second half when a superb through ball by Harvey-Cooper found Baker who took his chance well to fire past the keeper.

On 53 minutes the match turned ugly after a foul on Lopez saw the home team’s Ager and Applegate and Herbert for the Royals all shown yellow cards and the home team manager Adam Mason sent to the stands.

Two minutes after this incident the away team mounted an onslaught, with Harvey-Cooper finally putting the ball into the net for a 2-1 lead.

Lopez and Haverson then both received yellows before Sam Applegate received his marching orders for a second yellow following a tackle on Harvey-Cooper.

Down to 10 men the Bloaters equalised on 80 minutes when Mitch Forbes slammed in after a defensive mix-up.

The Royals tried hard to penetrate the home defence but man-of-the-match Whatmough stood firm.

Kirkley & Pakefield: A Rix, M Wilson, T Grint, L Hammond, J Herbert, L Flower, K Haylock, J Haverson, K Baker, M Lopez, L Harvey-Cooper. Subs unused: C Eagleton, D Blades, G Williams.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal