Kirkley & Pakefield Eclipse through to final – Youth notes

PUBLISHED: 17:12 26 January 2012

Kirkley & Pakefield Eclipse U13s 2 St Benets 0

Congratulations to Kirkley and Pakefield Eclipse U -13 on beating St Benets in the semi final of the league cup 2-0. Against the wind in the first half the boys played controlled football on the ground. The back line of Kyle, Kieren, Macca, Lewis and Ethen defended with composure and always looked to pick out a pass. Finley, Thomas, Ben and matty worked tirelessly in midfield and looked to create chances for the front two of Ben and Connor. Both Connor and Ben put the back four of St Benets under pressure as soon as they had the ball. Kirkley took the lead when Thomas played a perfect pass for Connor who chipped the advancing keep. In the second half Finley took on four plays before seeing his shoot cleared off the line. Kirkley made three changes bringing on Nathan, Vinnie and Jordan who all worked hard and played well. Kirkley then got their second when Nathan picked out Connor for his second of the game. A great result for all the 14 players who gave everything they had to make their first final. Congratulations boys we are all very proud of you.

All the boys and Management wish Oliver Moore a speedy recovery from his knee injury.

Waveney U11 Pumas 3 Bohemians U11 1

The Waveney Pumas entertained Bohemians in the U11 League Cup semi-final in front of a big crowd. The Pumas playing against the wind in the first half started brightly and a great move down the left resulted in a superb cross by Aaron to the back post for Tom to fire in off the bar. The lead lasted less than five minutes as a free kick from the half way line led to a great header which flashed past Cameron into the Waveney goal. The Waveney defence of Kian, Bradley and Alfie were battling well against the wind, with Cameron commanding in behind resulting in the scoreline of 1-1 at half time. With the wind behind their backs Waveney started the second half on the front foot with Max and Aaron commanding in the centre with Jack and Jayden causing chaos down the flanks. Jamie had a goal disallowed for offside then more chances went begging. Max finally got the goal Waveney deserved as he danced past the Bohemians defence and curled his shot into the corner. Waveney soon made it three as another great move resulted in Jack crossing for Tom to smash a header into the roof of the net to send Waveney into the cup final. A superb performance by all the boys.

Holt U13 Girls 4 Waveney U13 Girls 4

Waveney started the brighter of the teams with G Lee taking an early shot at the Holt goal which went wide. J Green’s goal kick found A Everson whose strike was saved well by the Holt keeper. S Callighan scored her first goal from an A Everson free kick. With good passing play between the midfield a pass from S Callaghan enabled A Linehan to score a great goal. A goalmouth tussle in the Waveney end saw the ball ricocheted between players and the cross bar to be finally cleared off the line by A Everson. After a well taken free kick from the penalty box Holt scored their first and their second from a corner kick. After the break, Holt came out the stronger with a good save from keeper L Robbens. Holt continued to press and against the run of play S Callighan scored her second. Holt were again strong and scored their third to even the score. G Tiffin and E Walker remained strong in defence and after a long goal kick from G Tiffin, S Callighan got her hat-trick. L Cathersides was also unlucky not to score. Holt passed well and scored a great goal at the end of the game to even the game to 4 - 4.

Waveney Youth FC U14 Tigers 0 
Swindell Juniors 0

Waveney U14 Tigers travelled to a windswept North Denes at Great Yarmouth on Sunday and battled away to secure a point against a resolute Swindell Juniors. With a near-gale blowing down an uneven, difficult surface this was not a game for the purists. The visitors adapted well to playing against the wind in the first-half and carved out three presentable opportunities. Ramalhete’s determined run opened the home defence but his finish was just the wrong side of the post. The same player then shot wide just before the break and in-between Gallant had a similar chance which was also dragged wide. Swindell created little at the other end where Waveney’s defence was mostly untroubled. With the wind at their back in the second period Waveney struggled to make the advantage count. Only Johnson’s long-range effort which was well tipped over and French’s in-swinging corner unsettled the hosts who looked more dangerous themselves as the game progressed albeit without a real cutting-edge. In added-time Waveney failed to make anything out of Butler’s free-kick and despite plenty of effort and no little endeavour both teams settled for a point which was probably the fairest outcome from an unsatisfactory match.

Dereham U15 Girls 2 Waveney U15 Girls 5

WAVENEY U15 GIRLS were greeted with far from ideal conditions before the game, luckily the rain stopped just before kick-off. Playing on a very small pitch Waveney were caught out by a hopeful punt forward which fell nicely for a Dereham forward giving M Shields no chance in goal. Waveney replied drawing level with a rasping drive from L Chambers from just outside the box. Then A Cheverton and G Gooding went close to giving Waveney the lead only to see their shots go wide. Waveney started to play the better football, with A Selby and P Baker combining well in midfield to create chances. With J Spicer and F Levetts help they looked to take the lead, only to go behind just before half time where in a goalmouth scramble from a corner Dereham forced the ball in the net. With the wind at their backs Waveney took the game to Dereham, G Gooding dropped into midfield and straight away found P Baker with a pinpoint pass on the wing who then put in a perfect cross for L Chamber to score her second of the match. With the defence now having time L Eaton and C Riggall looked to push forward with the ball and K Harris let fly to test the keeper from just inside Dereham half, but watched the ball slide the wrong side of the post. A Cheverton made it three after her cross- shot was deflected in for an own goal. Waveney kept the pressure on with their passing game, resulting in L Cambers getting a well deserved hat-trick and finally A Selby rounded two defenders and added a fifth. Well done girls another great win, also thank you to Robert for running the line.

Long Melford Fillies 0 
Waveney Girls F.C. U17 16

Waveney approached this friendly in preparation for this Sunday’s Cup Final with enthusiasm. New signing J.Metson showed a very organised performance in the first half in goal. The defence with S.Reynolds, R.Lynch and E.King were rock solid throughout the match. K.Lambert and J.Langer directed the match well from central midfield with M.Wilson and C.Hannah attacking over the wings. B.Thomas and L.Teicher formed a very effective forward partnership. In the second half C.Hannah spent a quiet afternoon in goal with K.Lambert pairing up with J.Metson in central midfield. The Waveney goals were scored by B.Thomas (7), L.Teicher (4), J.Langer (2), M.Wilson, K.Lambert and R.Lynch.

Burnt Hill 2 Waveney Lynx U15 4

WIND and a heavy muddy pitch greeted the two local teams. Brandon opened the scoring on four after Liam S was felled beating three players in the process. The ball was placed outside the edge of the box and precisely tucked away low and in the far corner. Burnt Hill drew level on 25 with a long distance shot looping in under the bar. The Lynx pushed again, passing neatly and creating many opportunities but Hill were resolute and defended gallantly. Brandon placed the ball again for another set piece, this time it was met by Jake and volleyed home from six yards. In the second period all three subs were introduced and we were soon on the back foot with the Tangerines shooting from distance and the ferocious wind assisting. This ensured they drew level with a corner flying in untouched. Waveney pressed again, playing quick football, retaining the ball but couldn’t find the final touch, all level at full time.

A “reality check” team talk would be the best way to describe the interval, but whatever it was the boys went out and played their best attacking football and soon put the game beyond doubt with two quick goals. James drove down the left flank, looked like he was going to shoot but laid in Alex to power home from the edge of the box. Kallum then fired in the fourth with a clinical shot from distance leaving the keeper stranded. The final 10 was keep ball seeing the game out, but credit to Burnt Hill who ensured a great game was the order of the day, thank you. Final Score: Burnt Hill 2 Lynx 4. Hi-Tech/Wavetrade men of the Match: Joe Dowsing and Jordan Taylor.

St Benets U12 2 Waveney Panthers U12 2

Extremely muddy conditions with added high winds made it difficult for both sides in this game.It wasn’t long though before a great ball through from Eamonn saw Cameron latch on to it and calmly placed away putting the Panthers a goal ahead.Both teams fought hard throughout and action was seen at both goal ends. As the second half got underway St Benets found an equalizer and the tempo was then raised. The Panthers, keen to put themselves back ahead, found themselves a goal behind after giving away a penalty. Fighting to get even brought some great displays from Leyton on the left wing, good defensive play from Kieran who kept the opposition’s attackers at bay, and Thomas who managed to find a comeback goal.

Waveney SnowLeopards U12 5 Freethorpe 1

Blustery winds and blinding sunshine greeted the teams as they took to the pitch for this very enjoyable January encounter. Freethorpe, after a great victory last week, started the game with the strong wind in their favour and Waveney did well to keep the ball low and make use of the limited space left behind the visitors defence. The SnowLeopards pressure intensified as the game progressed however and, in the 10th minute, were awarded a penalty for hand ball which was uncharacteristically missed by their usually clinical deadball maestro Josh. Despite numerous chances for the Yellows it was the ‘bibbed’ Freethorpe who, making full use of the wind, took the lead following a long through-ball and it remained 0-1 through to the break with Harrison and Rhys both making fine interceptions. This match certainly turned out to be a game of two half’s and Waveney were visibly buoyed when the referee blew the whistle for the commencement of the second period. Indeed, it only took one minute for Waveney to draw level as Ethan’s long range power blaster was parried by the goalkeeper and Josh D cheekily back heeled the ball into the net. The Yellows were electric from herein and Josh D soon converted his second to make it 2-1 with a neatly struck shot from the edge of the box following Dan’s exquisite pass. Charlie entered the fray and immediately made an impact with a neat turn and shot but it was Josh D who secured his hat-trick, in-doing-so extending Waveney’s lead to a well deserved 3-1, with a 30 yard bullet of a shot. Elliot, Josh and Ethan were disciplined and commanding in the centre of the park and Henry was sharp in goal restricting Freethorpe’s goal opportunities. Up the other end Lindon joined the game and instantly made it 4-1 in goal poaching fashion following Tom’s fine shot. At this point all the team were peppering the visitors goal and Aaron was unlucky not to cap a fine display with a goal in the 50th minute. The SnowLeopards eventually made it 5-1 on 55 minutes when Tom smashed the ball into the top corner of the net from fully 35 yards. Waveney continued to drive forward in search of the elusive sixth goal but Freethorpe battled well to restrict any further damage. With Bungay dropping points this week it gave Waveney the opportunity to draw level with the top two teams leaving an enthralling end to the season.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal