Enfield Borough 2 Kirkley & Pakefield 3: Goldspink scores extra-time winner in FA Vase

PUBLISHED: 05:46 19 October 2018

Kaiden Goldspink secured an extra-time win for Kirkley and Pakefield Picture: STEVE WOOD

Kaiden Goldspink secured an extra-time win for Kirkley and Pakefield Picture: STEVE WOOD


Kaiden Goldspink scored an extra-time decider to book Kirkley and Pakefield’s place in the second round of the FA Vase.

The Royals make the long journey to Wingate & Finchley Football Club in London to play Enfield Borough, currently in the top five of the Spartan South Midlands League Division One.

They had virtually a full strength line-up with only Cameron Russell coming in up front in place of Goldspink, who was on the bench after recovering from injury. Max Wall was declared fit to start with Ross King away working.

The Royals took the lead in the 14th minutes after a Liam Harvey-Cooper shot was stopped on the line, with the ball coming out to young Russell who hit a sweet shot past the keeper.

On 28 minutes Enfield went close after a good run down the right side by Isaac Stevens, with centre forward Opoku putting his header over. Adam Rix in the Royals’ goal then made two good saves and Wall a good clearance off the line before the equaliser arrived in the 38th minute when Brian Tshibangu struck with a shot from just outside the area.

It remained 1-1 until the break but on 60 minutes, following a free-kick, Tage Kennedy fired in a shot from close range to put the home team 2-1 ahead.

Harvey-Cooper saw a good effort for the visitors go just over and then Haylock was brought down on the edge of the area, with Goldspink’s free-kick being beaten out. Haverson then had a fine attempt at goal cleared off the line. Enfield broke and Kennedy was left clear but Rix, who had already made a string of good stops, was again the hero with a goal stopping save. With time running out a good move across the pitch in the 86th minute saw Russell score his second of the match with a superbly curled shot past the home keeper.

The match went into extra-time and after a goalless first period on 109 minutes Harvey-Cooper put a superb ball through to Goldspink and he raced into the area and took his chance well with a fine shot to put the Royals 3-2 ahead.

Enfield mounted one last attack after Baldwin was adjudged to have fouled on the left of the area but the free-kick was cleared away and the referee blew for full-time. The win was down to a hard working team performance, with keeper Rix outstanding.

Kirkley & Pakefield: A Rix, M Wilson, M Wall, L Hammond (K Goldspink 70), J Herbert (c), L Flower, K Haylock, M Lopez, C Russell (G Soares 114), L Harvey-Cooper, J Haverson (K Baldwin 113). Sub unused: J Hutchinson.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal