FC Clacton 1 Kirkley & Pakefield 0: Royals bow out of the FA Vase

PUBLISHED: 08:54 09 November 2018

Action from the Hadley & Ottaway Anglian Combination Division One match between K&P Reserves and UEA Picture: BRYAN GRINT

Action from the Hadley & Ottaway Anglian Combination Division One match between K&P Reserves and UEA Picture: BRYAN GRINT


It was national competition time again for Kirkley & Pakefield last Saturday with a visit to FC Clacton in the FA Vase second round.

Having been knocked out of the FA Cup by the Essex side earlier in the season the Royals knew they were in for a tough match, and so it proved.

With Hammond, Lopez, Russell, Harvey-Cooper and Will all out for various reasons, Kieran Baldwin, Gary Williams and Ross King all started the tie.

The game was only two minutes old when Kaiden Goldspink had a glorious chance to put the Royals ahead but after breaking through he put his shot too close to the keeper, who saved.

On seven minutes Clacton winger Max Booth broke on the left and his shot was deflected in by striker Matt Eve past keeper Rix to put the hosts into an early lead.

A great ball from Max Wall then found Kyle Haylock and his good run and centre to Ross King on the six yard box saw the ball take a nasty bounce on the bumpy surface to be cleared away.

Jordan Haverson produced some excellent work before finding Haylock whose shot was well saved by Fowler. Just on half-time Haylock was bundled over outside the area but the free-kick from 22 yards by Goldspink crashed into the defensive wall.

Early in the second half the Seasiders had a free-kick close in, with Royals striker King making a good headed clearance. On the hour mark Kieran Baldwin had to leave the field after treatment with what looked a hamstring injury, Gerson Soares replacing him.

A few minutes later Clacton were reduced to 10 men when Jack Plane was given a straight red card after crashing into Haverson. The resulting free-kick saw the ball go to King who shot through a crowded goalmouth but his effort was cleared off the line.

In the 71st minute Dylan Blades replaced Gary Williams and then Haverson, Goldspink and Blades linked up well but once again the finish was not clinical. With time almost up Haylock run into the area and went down under a challenge but no penalty was given and when the ball rebounded to Blades he hit it over. Finally King had a header from a corner headed off the line.

In a match of few real chances for either team another cup run was over.

Kirkley & Pakefield: A Rix, M Wilson, M Wall, K Baldwin (G Soares 60), J Herbert (capt), L Flower, K Haylock, J Haverson, K Goldspink, R King, G Williams (D Blades 71). Sub unused: J Hutchinson, C Bell, A Blowers.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal