Whitton Utd 5 Kirkley & Pakefield 3: Royals have three sent off in defeat

PUBLISHED: 08:53 15 February 2019

Goalmouth action from the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup quarter-final between Kirkley & Pakefield and Fakenham Town on Tuesday night Picture: BRYAN GRINT

Goalmouth action from the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup quarter-final between Kirkley & Pakefield and Fakenham Town on Tuesday night Picture: BRYAN GRINT


After the previous Saturday’s hotly-contested match at Walmer Road with three dismissals Kirkley & Pakefield travelled to Whitton United for a quick return fixture.

The Royals were without suspended captain Jack Herbert and Max Wall on holiday so Jack Hutchinson and Matty Brown came in.

The match commenced in strong winds and on 10 minutes following a free-kick Stefano Mallardo headed in to put Whitton ahead.

On 19 minutes Cameron Russell headed into to net but was ruled offside. Rix then stopped a shot from Cole from point blank range but was powerless to keep out another shot by Josh Hubert from just six yards.

On 28 minutes Gerson Soares hit a fine ball down the touchline to Brown whose through ball found Kaiden Goldspink to produce some good control before firing past the keeper to pull one back.

Whitton soon increased the lead again with a fine strike from Lloyd Clarke from outside the area but on 39 minutes Cameron Russell was brought down in the area and got up to make the score 3-2 with a well-taken penalty.

Another hotly-contested affair reached boiling point a minute from half-time when Jack Hutchinson committed a foul and was shown the red card. The referee also red carded Kyle Haylock and Whitton’s Lloyd Clarke following a brawl near the touchline.

The resulting free-kick was taken hastily and this was headed in by Cole and surprisingly allowed to stand, leaving the home team 4-2 up after an eventful first half.

Soon after the break the Royals went 5-2 down when Josh Stevens headed in from a corner after poor defending. On 55 minutes Lewis Hammond pulled one back with a header onto the post and across the line.

On 72 minutes the central defence was decimated when Lewis Flower became the third Royal to be sent off, this time for a reckless tackle. Kaine Collyer then replaced Russell after both Russell and Bell were shown yellow cards.

Down to eight men the Royals continued to put together some good football, with Brown unlucky not to score when his fine volley from some 25 yards out was headed off the line. The makeshift defence put in some gallant work, with keeper Rix stopping all that got past it.

Kirkley & Pakefield: A Rix, C Bell, G Soares, L Hammond (L Will 70), K Goldspink, L Flower, K Haylock, M Lopez, C Russell (K Collyer 75), J Hutchinson, M Brown. Subs unused: J Haverson, M Willis.

Last Saturday was a bad day all round for the club with all four teams losing. The Reserves went down 1-0 to Thurlow Nunn Division One North club Cornard United in the quarter-final of the Suffolk Senior Cup.

In the Lowestoft & District League Division One the U23s lost at resurgent bottom club Beccles Caxton Reserves 5-1 while in Division Two the B team lost 3-2 at home to Waveney A.

Kirkley & Pakefield 0

Fakenham Town 0

(Fakenham win 4-2 on penalties)

Kirkley & Pakefield went out at the quarter-final stage of the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup on penalties on Tuesday night after a goalless draw at 90 minutes.

On 15 minutes a good through ball found Lee Will who moved forward and shot. His goal bound effort was saved by the keeper’s finger tips and from the resulting corner the keeper produced another fine save.

Lewis Flower headed in a free-kick after 23 minutes but was ruled offside. Fakenham, from Division One North, were having their fair share of the play but the Royals were creating the better chances, with Goldspink having two attempts just wide.

The second half saw a flurry of attacking from the Royals with a couple of free-kicks on the edge of the area powered but to no avail. The home team then had best effort of the game when Matty Brown put in a thunderous shot from 25 yards that smacked against the post which Goldspink followed up but the keeper saved on the line.

Jordan Haverson replaced Will on 62 minutes and then Haylock was sent tumbling on several occasions by the Ghosts’ Matty Franks who was sent off after receiving two yellows in the 78th minute.

On 80 minutes Russell King replaced the injured Goldspink. A Hutchinson free-kick saw a Hammond header collected by the keeper at the far post.

Although the away team were playing good football throughout they never really tested home keeper Rix but the Royals failed to penetrate the away goal so at 90 minutes the game remained goalless.

The penalty shoot-out saw Hutchinson score well for the Royals, Fakenham then levelled with a good penalty and the Royals then missed their second and third penalties with Ross King blasting the ball high and wide and Hammond having his well saved.

The Ghosts scored both of theirs, Russell hammered in the Royals’ fourth for a 2-3 scoreline but Fakenham scored their fourth for a 4-2 penalty shoot-out win, with their four well taken spot-kicks giving the home keeper no chance.

Kirkley & Pakefield: A Rix, C Bell, G Soares, L Hammond, K Goldspink (R King 80), L Flower, K Haylock, J Hutchinson, L Will (J Haverson 62), M Brown, C Russell. Subs unused: K Collyer, H Creamer.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

$render.recurse($ctx, '$content.code.value')

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal