Newmarket Town 2 Kirkley & Pakefield 3: Late goal seals dramatic win for Royals

PUBLISHED: 08:27 01 March 2019

Kirkley & Pakefield U23s pictured before their Mike Johnson Knockout Cup quarter-final against Waveney A  Picture: BRYAN GRINT

Kirkley & Pakefield U23s pictured before their Mike Johnson Knockout Cup quarter-final against Waveney A Picture: BRYAN GRINT


An unchanged Kirkley & Pakefield side struck late to record an excellent 3-2 win at Newmarket on Tuesday evening.

The match started at a brisk pace on the 3G surface and the opening goal came with the home team’s first real attempt on 12 minutes when a low cross from Lewis Whitehead caught the defence in a mix-up and the ball fell to Samuel Gomarsall to tap in.

The Royals were dealt a blow on 15 minutes when an injury forced Matty Brown to leave the field to be replaced by Kaiden Goldspink.

It wasn’t until the 36th minute the Royals came to life with Goldspink having their first shot on goal from 20 yards. This was followed by a great shot from Cameron Russell that saw keeper Alex Archer pull off a fantastic one-handed save. Hammond then headed over from the corner before another Lopez corner on 41 minutes found Kaiden Goldspink who hammered the ball home from 12 yards to bring the scores level.

Five minutes into the second half Haverson made a good run from his own half into the opposition area only for the keeper to block his effort. Then a well-struck shot from 30 yards by the Jockeys’ Max Melanson was well saved by Adam Rix in the away goal.

On 62 minutes a powerful header by Whitehead was well saved by Rix and two minutes later Jack Herbert, once again playing up front, broke clear and ran towards goal before calmly shooting past the keeper to put the Royals 2-1 in front.

A superb shot from Russell then hit the bar with Herbert heading the rebound over. Herbert had a good chance to increase the lead on 75 minutes but after a good build-up by Soares and French he shot just over.

In the 79th minute the home team had a freekick some 30 yards out and Michael Shinn fired the ball into the far post for Ben Robinson to head in and bring the scores level once again.

On 85 minutes Rix again saved well Melanson and also stopped the rebound and three minutes later Russell was brought down on the edge of the area at the other end. Lopez’s free-kick was saved and put out for a corner and from this Herbert headed goalwards, with Cameron Russell on hand to put the ball into the net for a last minute winner and three very welcome points.

Kirkley & Pakefield: A Rix, C Bell, G Soares, L Hammond, J Herbert (capt), O French, H Creamer, M Lopez, C Russell, M Brown (K Goldspink 15), J Haverson. Subs unused: G Williams, M Willis.

Histon 2

Kirkley & Pakefield 2

Kirkley & Pakefield picked up a well deserved point on Saturday after twice coming from behind against the league leaders.

Already without a number of first team players the Royals had another casualty on the morning of the match with Lee Will going down sick but they were fortunate enough to see captain Jack Herbert arrive back from his school’s skiing holiday in time to play as an emergency striker.

The Royals came under pressure from the start with keeper Adam Rix facing the strong sunlight punching out well.

On 17 minutes the Royals’ best attack to date saw Matty Brown and Jordan Haverson break and combine well, with the latter shooting just wide.

Histon continued to press with Rix saving well and an effort then hitting the woodwork before being blocked.

On 36 minutes the ball was booted downfield with Histon striker Dan Brown beating the advancing Rix with a looping header to put the home team one up.

The second half saw Histon miss a good early chance to increase their lead and then a fine pass by Haverson found Brown whose good strike was well saved. From the corner Owen French put in a powerful header that was saved on the line.

The Royals were pressing hard for the equaliser and on 67 minutes it paid off when Brown shot in well from inside the area. However it took just six minutes before Histon were back in the lead when, from a long throw, substitute James Chivers headed in, giving the keeper no chance.

On 83 minutes a long throw from Brown saw a French header hit the bar, with Herbert following up to head in to bring the scores back level at 2-2.

The Royals continued to press with a Hammond shot going just wide while in one of a number of goalmouth scrambles a Haverson centre was put out for a corner which saw Hammond head over.

With the game drawing to a close Bell gave away a free-kick on the edge of the area but it was blasted over to ensure the Royals got a hard-earned point from a good display that saw the unusual back four of Bell, French, Creamer and Soares perform admirably.

Kirkley & Pakefield: A Rix, C Bell, G Soares, L Hammond, J Herbert (capt), O French, H Creamer, M Lopez, C Russell, M Brown, J Haverson. Subs unused: K Collyer, J Spooner, J Gill.

This Saturday Kirkley & Pakefield travel the short distance to Plantation Park, Blofield to play Norwich United (3pm).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal