Kirkley & Pakefield bow out of FA Cup after losing midweek replay at Wroxham

PUBLISHED: 11:14 15 August 2019 | UPDATED: 11:14 15 August 2019

Former Norwich City star Grant Holt in the thick of the action for Wroxham against Kirkley & Pakefield on Sunday Picture: BRYAN GRINT

Former Norwich City star Grant Holt in the thick of the action for Wroxham against Kirkley & Pakefield on Sunday Picture: BRYAN GRINT


Kirkley and Pakefield bowed out of the FA Cup on Wednesday evening after losing a hard-fought replay at Trafford Park 3-2.

Wroxham included former Norwich City player Simon Lappin in the centre of their midfield while the Royals brought in Harry Creamer and Tahg Neale to their starting 11.

The match kicked off 15 minutes late due to the Royals' bus breaking down on route and there was further bad when the home team took the lead after only two minutes a thunderous shot from 35 yards by Shaun Taylor found the back of the net.

Former Norwich striker Grant Holt then sent a good ball to Poynter whose shot hit the outside of the post. Haylock produced another fine move only for Russell to shot wide and on 30 minutes a good centre to Holt saw his effort hit the bar with the rebound being missed by an oncoming forward.

In the 35th minute Flower was deemed to have fouled Holt in the box, with the Wroxham veterans then slamming in from the penalty spot for a 2-0 lead. On 44 minutes a good move and through ball to Cameron Russell saw the Royals player neatly slot home to reduce the arrears.

From the kick-off keeper Adam Rix produced another brilliant save but the resulting corner was knocked in by Holt for his second and the home team's third.

Early in the second half a Holt header smacked against the bar before, on 61 minutes, Russell was replaced by young Anthony Cox for his first team debut.

A fine move and ball by Lappin saw Gee strike from close in with Rix making a great save and from the follow-up the keeper tipped over the bar.

With around six minutes to play the Royals pulled a goal back when good team build-up play saw Goldspink's final ball slammed in by debutant Cox from outside the area. In the very next minute Cox produced another good run and shot that keeper Ollie Sutton saved with his outstretched foot.

On 87 minutes the Royals were down to ten men when Kyle Haylock was shown the red card with the home defender lucky to stay on the pitch. In the very last minute man of the match Rix produced yet another brilliant save, this time from Poynter.

After two cracking cup-ties, Wroxham now have a home match in the next round on Saturday week against step four Stamford.

Team: A Rix, H Creamer, G Soares, B George, T Neale (G Williams 83), L Flower, K Haylock, J Hutchinson, D Conroy, A Meekin (K Goldspink 53), C Russell (A Cox 61).

You may also want to watch:

Kirkley & Pakefield 2

Wroxham 2

Kirkley & Pakefield welcomed Wroxham to Walmer Road last Sunday in the FA Cup, with an above average crowd of 191 present.

The home team were missing regulars Jack Herbert and Jordan Haverson but had Adam Rix back in goal with Kaiden Goldspink and Alex Meekin starting. For the visitors former Norwich City star Grant Holt started up front.

The first 15 minutes saw Goldspink have two good chances for the Royals with one blocked and the other going just wide. Wroxham had a good chance go to waste before Conroy crossed for Goldspink who failed to connect.

At the other end a good ball from the right across goal by Holt evaded the forward running in and a Holt header was well saved by keeper Rix.

On 37 minutes another Wroxham centre was slotted home by Mac Gee to give by visitors the lead. The hosts then put the pressure on and after Conroy was fouled a good long ball by Hutchinson to Goldspink and then Flower saw his effort go agonisingly wide.

The second half saw the Royals reduced to 10 men after fullback Callum Bell was shown the red card only two minutes into the half before, on 52 minutes Goldspink, was replaced by new signing Tahg Neale. Wroxham sub Jezry Dasalov narrowly fired over the bar and, then Rix saved well from Poynter after which Doyle missed a sitter.

The Royals then started to regroup and on 62 minutes a long throw by Haylock was smashed in by Ben George, who had been having a good game in the central defence. On 73 minutes the Royals' 10 men took the lead when a good Soares free-kick found Conroy whose clever work and shot beat keeper Ollie Sutton. The Royals almost went further ahead when a great through ball by Soares found Haylock who got his shot in only for Sutton to pull off a good save.

In the 91st minute Wroxham were awarded a hotly disputed free-kick for a Flower foul on Holt and from the kick on the right side Holt rose beautifully to head home a last minute equaliser.

Team: A Rix, C Bell, G Soares, B George, A Meekin, L Flower, K Haylock, J Hutchinson, D Conroy, K Goldspink (T Neale 52), C Russell. Subs not used: G Williams, A Cox.

The Royals have no fixture tomorrow but travel to Wroxham again next Tuesday evening for a league match (7.45pm). The Reserves also have a blank Saturday after their away match was called off with opponents Hindringham withdrawing from the league but they have a match at Walmer Road on Tuesday with Gorleston Reserves their opponents (7.30pm).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal