Kirkley & Pakefield beat Long Melford 4-0 after early injury setback

PUBLISHED: 05:25 27 September 2019

Kirkley & Pakefield find the back of the net against Long Melford on Saturday Picture: BRYAN GRINT

Kirkley & Pakefield find the back of the net against Long Melford on Saturday Picture: BRYAN GRINT


An injury to new signing Sean Perfect took the shine off an excellent victory for Kirkley & Pakefield at Walmer Road on Saturday.

Before the game a minute's silence was observed in respect of the club's longest-serving committee man and supporter Bob Williams, who had passed away earlier in the week, and also former player Ian Pretty, who had also passed away at the age of just 54.

The Royals were already without Ben George and Kieran Baldwin through injury.

A dramatic opening saw Perfect, in only his second start, go down in the first minute after a tackle with what looked like a serious leg injury. With no ambulance available for up to five hours, the player was treated by club officials and put on a stretcher and taken to hospital. After a 15 minute delay the match resumed with Cameron Russell coming on as substitute.

Russell was soon in the action, missing a good chance, but Baker did connect with the ball having his shot well saved. Haylock then made a good run, passed to Russell who netted but was adjudged offside. Long Melford's Nathan Rowe then shot over from the right side.

Midway through the half a neat Baker flick found Jack Herbert who opened the scoring for the Royals. Soon after Kyle Haylock made it two. With the home team now well on top after a good home move Meekin almost made it three but shot just wide.

The second half was barely five minutes old when the Royals were reduced to 10 men with Harry Creamer being shown the red card after two bookable offences. Nelson Carinhas was then brought on in place of Kaiden Goldspink.

Russell was unlucky with one attempt and at the other end keeper Jordan Smith saved and caught well.

On 74 minutes, after receiving the ball from Jack Herbert, Kyle Baker scored with a great overhead kick to make it 3-0 and then on 81 minutes a fine ball from Haylock to Cameron Russell saw him being pulled back by a defender but he still managed to guide a fine shot past the keeper for the fourth.

Daniel Conroy, returning from injury, then replaced Baker after a good afternoon's work. In the final minutes Kyle Haylock had a cracking shot skim the crossbar.

It was a good win for the Royals that saw them complete a five-match unbeaten run.

Kirkley & Pakefield: J Smith, H Creamer, G Soares, A Meekin, J Herbert, L Flower, K Haylock, K Baker (D Conroy 82), K Goldspink (N Carinhas 57), J Haverson, S Perfect (C Russell 2). Unused subs: T Harmer, I Barber.

You may also want to watch:

Kirkley & Pakefield 1

Wroxham 2

Kirkley & Pakefield welcomed Wroxham back to Walmer Road for a league match on Tuesday evening, having already played them three times this season in league and cup.

The Royals were looking for a win after a draw and two defeats.

The game started at a fast pace with the Royals having two early chances, with Flower heading over and Baker shooting wide, Then at the other end former Norwich City striker Grant Holt had a good header on the turn gathered well by keeper Smith.

Baker had a shot put out for a corner and from this a Herbert header was gathered by the keeper.

On 24 minutes Haylock looked to have been fouled but this was not given the ball ran to Harley Black who thundered the ball in from a good 25 yards out, deceiving the keeper for a 1-0 lead for the Yachtsmen.

Just two minutes later the same player scored number two from outside the area after keeper Smith ran out misjudged the ball and was beaten by winger Jerry Dasaolu whose cross found Black. Wroxham were now controlling play and attacking frequently but the scored remained 0-2 at the interval.

At the beginning of the second half the Royals had two near misses while at the other end keeper Smith was forced into three consecutive clearances.

Then on 73 minutes good attacking play by the Royals saw Kaiden Goldspink fire in a low shot from 25 yards that beat Sutton in the away goal to pull the score back to 2-1.

Shortly afterwards Herbert was fouled on the edge of the area and a Baker shot fell into the arms of the keeper. Further home team attacking failed to bring the scores level although in the last minute a Baker effort was deflected into the keeper's arms.

After another close game Kirkley & Pakefield were still unable to beat the Yachtsmen who moved up to third spot in the league as a result of their hard-fought win.

Kirkley & Pakefield: J Smith, A Meekin (D Conroy 83), G Soares, B George (H Creamer 87) J Herbert, L Flower, K Haylock, K Baker, K Goldspink, J Haverson, C Russell (A Cox 78). Sub not used: I Barber.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal