Thetford Town 1 Kirkley & Pakefield 2: Happy Christmas for the Royals
- Credit: Archant
Kirkley & Pakefield continued their good form in their final Thurlow Nunn Premier Division League game of the year at the Mundford Road on Saturday.
The Royals picked up their third win from three Christmas games with a 2-1 victory that shot them up to fourth place in the table, just four points off of the league leaders.
The visitors took a sixth minute lead with Cameron Russell converting from the penalty spot after Kyle Haylock was brought down.
The home team then got more into the game with several long range shots, two being well saved by Adam Rix, back in the away goal after eight matches out injured. On 33 minutes Rix made another fine save from a Luke Bailey header.
At half-time Lewis Hammond came on for Jordan Haverson, with the home team starting the half on the ascendency.
You may also want to watch:
On the hour mark a good turn and shot from some 20 yards by their player/manager Danny White gave Thetford the equaliser but a couple of minutes later disaster struck for the home team when a back pass saw keeper Will Viner miss the ball to give the Royals a late Christmas present and a 2-1 lead.
Haylock then produced a good run and ball across goal but nobody was there to poke it in.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 3 Minke whale to be removed from Lowestoft beach
- 4 New outdoor theatre hopes to bring post lockdown performances to the woods
- 5 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 6 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 7 Suzuki and Honda motorbikes stolen in overnight thefts
- 8 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 9 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 10 Bulky waste collection service suspended
Gerson Soares replaced Jack Hutchinson with 20 minutes to play while man of the match keeper Rix continued to excel in the second half, making several more good saves. At the other end Haylock was seeing more of the ball but the Royals defended well and held out for all three points.
Kirkley & Pakefield: A Rix, C Bell, M Wall, K Baldwin, J Herbert (capt), L Flower, K Haylock, J Hutchinson (G Soares 70), K Goldspink, C Russell, J Haverson (L Hammond 45). Unused subs: K Collyer.
Saturday sees the first game of the New Year at Walmer Road when Kirkley & Pakefield host Walsham-le-Willows, with this match being a fourth versus fifth encounter with a 3pm kick-off.
The Reserves resume their Anglian Combination Division One season with a long away trip to play Hindringham (2pm).
In the Lowestoft & District League Division One K&PFC U23 are away at Mutford & Wrentham (2pm). In Division Two the K&P B team are also away, to Bungay Town A (2pm).