Kirkley & Pakefield beat Thetford Town 2-1 to make it two straight wins
- Credit: Archant
After their fine 5-2 win against Woodbridge in midweek Kirkley & Pakefield travelled to Mundford Road on Saturday to play Thetford Town looking for more league points.
The Royals had to make a few changes again due to unavailability with young 17-year-old Tom Harmer coming in at full back, Lewis Flower back in central defence and Cameron Russell returning to the starting 11 in place of Ross King.
The match was played in windy but fine conditions with the first early chance going to Kyle Haylock, his effort being stopped by the keeper.
On 15 minutes home keeper Will Viner saw his last action of the afternoon being show a straight red card after bringing down Kaiden Goldspink just outside the area as he was running for goal. Outfield player Elliott Gibson took his place in goal and the resulting free-kick by Goldspink was sent over the bar.
Haylock had a couple of good runs on goal but the replacement keeper stopped both. The 10-man Brecklanders were not making it easy for the Royals and Jordan Smith had to make a very good save from Sandell.
You may also want to watch:
On 45 minutes Goldspink shot from a good 25 yards out on the right side with the ball evading the keeper to go into the net for a 1-0 half-time lead.
The home team came out at the Royals at the start of the second period and an early 25 yard strike from centre-forward Campbell struck the post. This was followed by an excellent run down the left side by young Harmer but his effort broke down in the area.
- 1 Free parking for 30 minutes at 48 car parks
- 2 Town's Post Office boost ahead of Christmas rush
- 3 Family 'truly moved' as crowds remember building company founder
- 4 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 5 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 6 Will Suffolk see snow as wintry showers hit before the weekend?
- 7 Plea for answers after blacksmith's 'devastating' death
- 8 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 9 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 10 Lack of information sharing 'could lead to more deaths' after 95-year-old attacked
On 65 minutes the home team equalised when Max Melanson slotted in from 25 yards. Shortly afterwards mistakes in the away defence saw the same player shoot from close in only for Smith to save.
On 72 minutes a fine ball from the halfway line by Goldspink sent Kyle Haylock away, beating the offside trap and the keeper to put the Royals 2-1 up.
On 80 minutes there was a five-minute delay after Haylock suffered facial injury and bleeding. When play restarted good work by Baker saw fellow substitute Spooner bring a good save from the keeper. With the 10 men continuing to advance Smith made a good punched clearance to seal the three points in a hard-fought win.
Kirkley & Pakefield: J Smith, A Meekin, T Harmer, K Baldwin, J Herbert, L Flower, K Haylock, B George (J Spooner 69), K Goldspink (G Williams 75), J Haverson, C Russell (K Baker 58). Subs not used: G McGee.