Kirkley & Pakefield 4 Wroxham 2: Royals make comfortable progress in League Cup

PUBLISHED: 08:53 26 October 2018

Action from Kirkley & Pakefield's League Cup win over Wroxham on Tuesday evening Picture: BRYAN GRINT

Action from Kirkley & Pakefield's League Cup win over Wroxham on Tuesday evening Picture: BRYAN GRINT


Kirkley & Pakefield moved into the third round of the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup on Tuesday evening after recording a comprehensive win over Wroxham.

The Royals had captain Jack Herbert back in defence while Kieran Baldwin replaced Max Wall while Wroxham included former Norwich City stars Grant Holt and Simon Lappin.

The hosts were dealt a blow in the fourth minute when leading scorer Liam Harvey-Cooper had to be helped from the field with a knee injury, to be replaced by Kaiden Goldspink.

In the 16th minute Goldspink shot through a crowded goalmouth to score the opener before the Yachtsmen had a few attacks without troubling home keeper Rix.

Four minutes after the break Goldspink shot from close in only for the keeper to make a point blank save. Herbert was then denied a penalty before Lappin received his second yellow of the night and Wroxham were down to 10 men.

On 53 minutes Jordan Haverson scored from the edge of the area to put the Royals 2-0 up and further good play saw Haverson play in Cameron Russell who fired wildly over from 20 yards.

Goldspink then scored his second of the night after good work and a shot from 25 yards and shortly afterwards Haylock went towards goal and crossed for Russell to convert from close range for a four goal lead.

This seemed to spark life into the Yachtsmen and substitute Marcus Wilkinson scored a neat goal to reduce the arrears and shortly after the lead was cut further when Sonny Carey scored from the edge of the area.

With minutes remaining a cracking shot from some 25 yards by Harley Black slammed against the underside of the crossbar and down and was adjudged not to have crossed the line by the officials.

Team: A Rix, K Baldwin, M Wilson, L Hammond, J Herbert, L Flower, K Haylock (G Williams 85), M Lopez, C Russell (G Soares 80), L Harvey-Cooper (K Goldspink 4), J Haverson. Subs unused: M Wall, O French. East Point Sports man of match: Jordan Haverson.

Kirkley & Pakefield are in league action this evening against Great Yarmouth Town at the Wellesley (7.45pm). Next Tuesday evening sees the first team in action at Walmer Road in a rearranged league match (7.45pm).

Kirkley & Pakefield 1

Stowmarket Town 1

Stowmarket Town lying in second place in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division were the visitors to Walmer Road last Saturday for a league match.

On a glorious October afternoon, with the pitch looking splendid, the home team were missing captain and centre back Jack Herbert.

Early play saw Jordan Haverson shoot over for the home team and then captain for the day Lewis Flower made a good defensive clearance at the other end.

The Royals took the lead on 26 minutes when Cameron Russell scored with a neat shot following some of his own good play in the area. Stowmarket then created more chances with little end product but with the last kick of the half they did equalise from the penalty shot through Josh Mayhew after Hammond was adjudged to have fouled in the area.

Early in the second half full back Wilson made a good run down the right, beating the defender, but his centre was collected by the keeper.

Hammond went close with an overhead kick before, on 65 minutes Baldwin, replaced Goldspink. Then Haylock put Haverson through, with former Royals’ keeper Callum Robinson blocking the shot.

On 70 minutes good play from Haylock to Harvey-Cooper saw the latter fouled on the edge of the area but the free-kick came to nothing. Stowmarket pressurised the home goal with several attacks but woeful finishing, as in the first half, let them down badly.

On one occasion keeper Rix had to make a good punch out but the follow-up shot was blasted over the bar. Haylock was having a purple patch in the second half and twice excellent runs saw him set up Russell but both chances were lifted over the bar from close range. The match concluded in a point a piece after another good workmanlike performance against a good team, finishing apart.

Team: A Rix, M Wilson, M Wall, L Hammond, K Goldspink (K Baldwin 65), L Flower (c), K Haylock, M Lopez, C Russell, L Harvey-Cooper, J Haverson (G Williams 82).

Sub unused: G Soares. East Point Sports man of match: Kyle Haylock.

Waveney bowed out of the Suffolk Senior Cup at the first hurdle on Saturday when they were beaten 2-1 by Lakenheath at Saturn Close.

The hosts led the Thurlow Nunn League Division One side 1-0 at half-time courtesy of George Barber’s goal but had Ritchi High sent off after the break as the visitors hit back.

Waveney are without a game on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal