Kirkley & Pakefield shrug off setbacks to claim a couple of narrow wins

PUBLISHED: 08:17 16 November 2018

Action from Kirkley & Pakefield's narrow victory over Long Melford at Walmer Road on Saturday Picture: BRYAN GRINT

Action from Kirkley & Pakefield's narrow victory over Long Melford at Walmer Road on Saturday Picture: BRYAN GRINT


Kirkley & Pakefield 1 Long Melford 0

It was back to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division League action last Saturday for Kirkley & Pakefield who were hoping to maintain their third place when welcoming Long Melford.

There was drama before the match when full back Matthew Wilson collapsed on the terrace of the 3G Arena while watching a well supported fund-raising match for first team assistant manager and club stalwart James ‘Huggy’ Hutchinson and his family to assist him through his long-term illness and treatment.

Matthew was well attended to by club personnel while awaiting an ambulance. After a lengthy period of recovery time and tests Matthew was assessed and he did not require hospital treatment.

A reshuffle saw young Callum Bell come in as a late replacement while Lewis Hammond, Miguel Lopez and Cameron Russell were all back in the starting line-up.

The game started at a sedate pace until the 20th minute when the Royals went in front. After showing pace and skill down the right Kyle Haylock sent in a superb ball to Miguel Lopez on the edge of the area to fire in, with the keeper standing no chance.

Haylock continued to cause problems with his trickery, with both himself and Haverson having shots saved and other chances were not taken by the home team. A big blow for the home team came on the half hour mark when Jordan Haverson was in a nasty collision with keeper Morrison. Haverson sustained a nasty facial injury and was bleeding badly, for which he needed hospital treatment. Substitute Lee Will, himself returning from weeks out injured, replaced him.

After the interval the away team came more into the game and on 65 minutes home keeper Adam Rix made a brilliant save to keep out a good Long Melford effort.

Will was also catching the eye, with one of his shots being well saved, Hammond and Will had further shots in between Melford attacks that were broken down by the sturdy home defence, with replacement Bell having a good game in an unaccustomed position.

On a break Ross King was put through and took his chance well but in a close decision was adjudged to be offside. The away team continued their assault on the home goal with Rix having to pull off two fine saves from successive corners to keep them at bay. Just before the end Cameron Russell was put clear through with only the keeper to beat but the referee stopped play for a injured player, who quickly got to his feet.

East Point Sports Man of the Match: Callum Bell.

Team: A Rix, C Bell, M Wall, L Hammond, J Herbert (c), L Flower K Haylock, M Lopez, C Russell, R King, J Haverson (L Will 30). Subs unused: G Soares, K Goldspink, G Williams.

Kirkley & Pakefield 1 Whitton Utd 0

Kirkley and Pakfield made progress in the Suffolk Premier Cup on Tuesday evening after recording another narrow win.

After having a bye in the first round the Royals had fellow Thurlow Nunn Premier Division side Whitton United as the opposition.

The Royals had a much changed line-up due to further injuries. They were without both Jordan Haverson, out for a few weeks with facial injuries including a broken nose, and Matthew Wilson, recovering from the effects of Saturday’s collapse.

Kyle Haylock put the home team ahead on 22 minutes with a left foot shot. Dylan Blades was denied a good penalty appeal and then Lewis Hammond sustained a facial injury before half-time.

The interval saw Hammond go to hospital with a suspected broken nose, to be replaced by Miguel Lopez with the Royals taking complete control in all but goals, with both Herbert and Haylock having early attempts saved.

Haylock continued to run rings round the Whitton defence, beating the keeper to the ball only to see his effort trickle past the post while another good shot by the same player was well saved, Goldspink put a header just wide after beating the keeper while Whitton’s few attempts at goal were wild long range attempts.

With 10 minutes remaining Blades got injured when losing out to the keeper and Lee Will came on to replace him and immediately just shot past the post. The final minutes saw Haylock brought down just outside the area, with the free-kick coming to nothing. The Royals were hanging on in a match that they should have won convincingly and the final minute saw home keeper Rix collect well after pressure from Whitton forwards.

Team: A Rix, C Bell, G Soares, L Hammond (M Lopez 46), J Herbert (c), L Flower, K Haylock, G Williams, D Blades (L Will 80), K Goldspink, C Russell. Subs unused: T Cole, J Hutchinson.

Last Saturday saw disappointing results in the L&DL matches for both the Under 23s. who lost 7-0 at home to reigning champions Mutford & Wrentham in Division One, and the B team, who went down at Division Two bottom club Earsham Reserves 4-0. It was a bad week for the youth teams too. Leaders K&PFC U18s surprisingly losing at Bungay Town 2-0 while at Walmer Road the AFC Royals U18s were leading Diss 3-2 with only minutes remaining but then conceded twice to lose 4-3 and miss out on a first win of the season.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal